Self employed basis

Was reading an article this morning about a well known plumbing company ( Pimlico Plumbers ) any way they gave a lot of work to skilled workmen on a self employed basis…one of them was taken ill, and was dismissed, so this guy took them to court, this went to the high court after time, and today, the judge said, that as this guy was given a company uniform, a works vehicle, and lots of work…he couldnt be termed as self employed but directly employed and can now take the firm to a wrong dismissal claim…or whatever theyre called today, other than a tribunal…anyway, so it got me thinking, as to whether any drivers were in this situation, as i know that many go down the self employed route …the boss of the firm said this is going to open a can of worms for thousands of other claims…and is now considering going to the euro courts, to try and overturn the ruling, as he thought the judge had the opportunity to set the records straight as an employed or self employed…i also believe UBER had a similar case, seeing as most of them are self employed, and they are not liable, the courts proved them wrong…what do you guys think…or does it affect you. ?..BTW the plumber did have a contract that said he was on a self employed basis…the courts threw that out.

I wonder how large a tax bill he will be facing now its been decided that he was employed?

The story you’re talking about is Plumber wins workers’ rights battle against Pimlico Plumbers

I don’t know if that case will have any big implications for self employed drivers but I hope it does, this self employed agency worker crap needs sorting out as does the agency through umbrella company garbage.

Not only for that employee…but many many more from what i understand…ol charlie ( as his real name ) will be having kittens…but dont suppose hes that worried…he is after all a millionaire…watched a program about him, and others, about how they became rich…he had just bought his second Bentley, and was off to buy his third mansion in marbella…but he has his money now…and yes there could be a change in contract anytime soon…i sympathise to an extent…as if a worker wants to be self employed, fair play…but dont start screaming about rights…when it all goes ■■■■ up, and wants sick pay, or whatever…which seems highly likely, and takes the firm to court…i assume there are advantages in going self employed…over employed status…not sure…someone will be along shortly…to put our minds at rest…ha ha

If you have a Tarmac LaFarge or Breedon tipper, ring them now and tell them you are working for Cemex tomorrow.

ha ha …trust you…and tacho…your spot on mate…i already thought the HMRC was having a look at that…my missus is through an umbrella, she hates it…asks why she has to pay to go to work…but seeing as she is with around 4 agencies, she could go self employed…BUT…cant be bothered to fill out tax returns…seems the umbrella is the same company she works for …but called Orange Genie ■■

kcrussell25:
I wonder how large a tax bill he will be facing now its been decided that he was employed?

He’s been paying tax hasn’t he - it’s his employer who are facing a massive bill :smiley:

Basket:

kcrussell25:

He’s been paying tax hasn’t he - it’s his employer who are facing a massive bill :smiley:

Apparently the boss of Pimlico is a big LibDem donor, and condemned British justice as “disgraceful”.

Shows that workers should avoid voting LibDem when they’ve got backers like that.

Basket:

kcrussell25:

I would assume that he was only paying class 2 national insurance which would have to be made up.

Then its down to how many “expenses” he booked as self employed that a paye worker can’t.

I agree the employer will also have a rather large bill

I’m ‘self employed’ in a very similar capacity to the plumber.
The company I do work for must have seen this coming because they updated the T&Cs last week.
We/I were asked to sign a new agreement.
Bit of of give and take, but essentially I’m self employed still and can’t ask them for workers rights.

Suits me, if I don’t want to go to work, I don’t.

drew30:
The company I do work for must have seen this coming because they updated the T&Cs last week.
Bit of of give and take, but essentially I’m self employed still and can’t ask them for workers rights.

You’re the contractor so why are you signing their agreements regarding terms of engagement? It should be them signing your terms as they’re the ones engaging your service(s) as a contractor. Saying you’re “essentially self-employed” most likely means in HMRCs eyes that you are not. Sounds to me like you’re an employee for all intents and purposes and you are using mickey-mouse “self-employment” as a tax saving vehicle so that puts you right in the centre of HMRCs radar screen.

Rob K:

drew30:

You’re the contractor so why are you signing their agreements regarding terms of engagement? It should be them signing your terms as they’re the ones engaging your service(s) as a contractor. Saying you’re “essentially self-employed” most likely means in HMRCs eyes that you are not. Sounds to me like you’re an employee for all intents and purposes and you are using mickey-mouse “self-employment” as a tax saving vehicle so that puts you right in the centre of HMRCs radar screen.

I would say from the above that the HMRC point of view is that they would call you an employee in a zero hours contract.

One of the clauses of the new agreement was that we can take on work for other companies without any prejudice from the current one, and even have 2 jobs on the van from 2 companies without penalty.
That was outlawed before.

drew30:
One of the clauses of the new agreement was that we can take on work for other companies without any prejudice from the current one, and even have 2 jobs on the van from 2 companies without penalty.
That was outlawed before.

LOL. So you’re not self-employed then in any way, shape or form.