Gaining license through the Army

IronEddie:
Seems to me the risk of ending up in a war zone and getting shot at/killed even if unlikely as a reserve isn’t worth it just for an hgv licence. Unless you really want to do the other stuff the army will prepare you for.

Why not find a firm bus or lorry that’ll pay for your licence? Do stobarts take drivers through cat C and C+E? I know on the buses national express here in Brum will get you your pcv licence. Get tied to them though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No they don’t Eddie. They will take money from you for training and then offer you an interview.

In Brum you could go to XPO in Tamworth and they will put you through your class 1. However I really wouldn’t recommend it. For a start the training is shocking and I mean really shocking. One poor sod has failed his class 1 7 times with them - and after the 3rd fail they are charging him £450 a pop for a retest. What’s more you have to do your training in the yard with the blokes who are coming back in watching you practice your reverse. All in a ‘live’ yard - so you might need to stop if a shunter needs to move a unit or someone needs to get on the bay. Hardly ideal conditions.

Finally - you are tied in to frankly crap money for a year or two. Much better to save the grand and then go to someone on here who train you properly and you are then able to chose where to work. Plenty of well paying agency work around the west midlands - and you are in charge of your own destiny.