Is HGV/LGV driving worth it?

Hi mate here’s my two pence worth.

I’m now 38 yrs old and my work experience has involved driving forklift trucks, inventory management, I have also worked in I.T as a datapreper and even worked as a shift manager. Oh also a project manager setting warehouses up. One thing I have learned is this.

Through my working life I have given 110% to the companies I have worked for. My work record is second to non and so is my sickness record (I mean no time off lol).

Over the last 10 years I have been made redundant twice and am currently being made redundant again. I aint getting any younger and as I get older it will get harder to find work with decent pay, Even with all my experience. As a result of all this I decided to retrain in something and doing my HGV was the right way to go.

Why did I think it was the right way to go?
Answer is this… All around me are class 2/1 drivers and not one of them are worried about losing their job because they know they can walk into another one.

Here’s an example of age… One of the guys retired a year ago and decided to do shunting for some extra cash (just 3 nights a week as he plays a lot of golf) He has been doing some driving for them as a favour because they where short staffed on a few instances and they have asked him if he fancies doing more driving for them. He decided to say yes (he goes on holiday twice a year and plays golf) What a life.

My point is this…no matter what your age…as an HGV driver you will always be in demand. You won’t get a young whipper snapper taking your job and you will always have security. Thats my angle on the matter anyway. Let me know if you agree.

Thats why I decided to do my HGV.

Cheers. Nige