Minimum requirements!

Rob range:
So points to remember for future posts:

Give answers for the question based on what the op has asked for !

Hi Rob range,

The-Snowman and I both encountered your OP question, but we answered in different ways.

My observation that your question was unclear remains the case because “when you are ADR” has no meaning.

At that point (given the lack of clarity of what was being asked) I wonder how anybody was meant to give you the answer you sought??

My approach was to make the small assumption that your question was probably along the lines of ‘my boss has asked me to carry X number of gas cylinders/drums of diesel fuel’ (hence my questions about packages) so do I need an ADR licence? I made that assumption because that is the commonest form of question in my 15yrs of being an ADR instructor and DGSA, within which is 10yrs of answering ADR questions on here.

TBF mate, this cuts two ways because it was just about impossible for anybody (expert or otherwise) to give an answer due to the non-intentionally cryptic way that you asked the question. The fact that your question actually related to tankers (after some pulling of teeth) was somewhat surprising.
BTW, this isn’t a criticism… it’s simply an observation.

I’d also point out that it is a matter for the owner of the vehicle (ADR calls him the carrier) to employ a properly qualified DGSA whose legal duty it is to monitor and advise (in this case) the carrier.

:bulb: That saves the carrier from the trouble of having to google for info, which when obtained, he is ill equipped to evaluate or interpret to the given situation.

It is also a matter for the carrier to supply the driver with all the required PPE and equipment that was the subject of your question.

Rob range:
Don’t assume anything about their training or background.

I had no expectation of prior knowledge or any training that you may or may not have had.

Dave’s ADR Trivia:
Once all the RDC waiting room myths, MMTM and other nonsense are stripped away from the job, the reality is that an employed driver has very little actual responsibility under ADR.