Guy

moomooland:

kevmac47:
My personal opinion of the “Big J”? admittedly on very short acquaintance with the dog, it was diabolical!! Uncomfortable, noisy,( worse than an Atki) difficult to get in and out and gutless, but I will say it had a poxy Gardner in it. Not a patch on an Atkinson or a Mandator, or even a Leyland Beaver!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: my tin hat is firmly fixed. :smiley: Regards Kev.

Agree with you there Kev.
The bloke that designed it should have been made to drive the first one they built from Wolverhampton to Wick and back!
Had he done so i imagine when he returned he would have immediately set to work back at his drawing board.

At the time in the course of transport history the Guy Big J filled a role that was both acceptable, economical and successful ! I only ran half a dozen at Bewick Transport but they were all, without exception, very reliable albeit all had Gardner 180LXB engines. But take the massive fleets of the like of SOM almost exclusively Big J in the late 60’s and early 70’s and very profitable they were as well. I would disagree with the “bad mouthing” that is now taking place aimed at the very successful Big J during it’s years as an economically priced reliable “work horse”. Others obviously hold an opposing opinion based on their no doubt first hand experiences of owning and operating the Big J ! Cheers Bewick.