If You Could Vote Again (Brexit)

Rjan:

Winseer:
We’ve already had quite enough “Transition Period” being forced to wait until March 2019. Because we keep on paying in the meantime, everyone else is going to drag their feet knowing that “Another day of nothing done=Another £50m into Brussels coffers”.

I still maintain that defaulting the payments (need the civil service on board to do this…) would result in the EU reacting quickly, in booting us all the way out practically overnight.

I don’t know why Brexiteers keep working themselves into a tizzy about the fact that the UK has not defaulted on its contribution to collective projects. The reality of default is simply that other states may default suddenly on their obligations, and the UK state won’t be trusted again for at least a generation. Bear in mind that for countries like Germany, they pay in even more on the net basis that Brexiteers refer to.

The public are NEVER going to vote for a majority Remainer party again. Theresa May had enough Remainers to lose her majority, and only Ex-UKIP voters plus students temporarily shifting their votes to Corbyn - pushed the Labour poll up last year.

Their performace in the council elections last week, whilst OK was hardly “Awesome”.

It wasn’t astounding, but it showed appreciable progress for Labour - and showed appreciable deterioration for the Tories (who were already in a very distant second place from 2014). Also, have you forgotten that nearly half of the country voted Remain? I say that simply to remind you not to get carried away. There are many, like me, who support Corbyn’s Brexit strategy, but are vehemently opposed to a right-wing Brexit and wouldn’t for a second stand for a party espousing yours or Carryfast’s views on the subject.

Council Elections, with their notorious low turnout, and general voter apathy - tend to see sharp swings in favour of the opposition parties. That’s exactly what we saw. Tories losing votes, UKIP wiped out, and a surge for both the Libdems and Labour, albeit nothing really fancy, considering the turnout was as low as it was. It’s a surge on a HIGH turnout that should and would have caused concern for the ruling party, had it had happened.

Normally in council elections, turnout is low (as it was last week as well) and the effect of the protest vote is thus more pronounced.

But that’s even worse, because low turnouts favour both older and more conservative voters, so if Labour is doing well under a low turnout, that is even more catastrophic for the Tories.

Labour, should have done a lot better - and the Libdems should have done a lot more poorly.

It’s easy to argue that naturally Tory areas like Kensington and Chelsea ought to have fallen to Labour, if voters in that constituency had any conscience, but the fact that it hasn’t isn’t an indictment of Labour - it’s simply a reflection of the class division, where even a council that has caused citizens to be roasted to death, retains support because those who died were not representative of the class of most people in that area. It shows that the rich are indeed waging a class war.
Have you ever considered that Grenfell Tower might have been a mere conspiracy to take away Labour’s wafer-thin majority there? :neutral_face:

Also, the LibDems are still more or less at their nadir - still garnering some of the lowest results for their party in a generation.
The Libdems, in percentage terms - gained a lot more council seats than Labour. Mind you, you’re correct of course. Even if the Libdems increased their poll by 100% at this point, we’re talking about 12 seats going to 24 if that were reflected in the next general election. I had a tenner on @ 66-1 that the Libdems could recover to 29+ seats last year, which went down of course. (My tenner on Labour winning 250-299 seats @ 40-1 didn’t though!) :wink:

this weeks one being “out of control violent crime” and “You can’t arrest anyone of colour, because it’s against their yuman rights” ■■■■■■■■.

So, you don’t think the spike in crime is anything to do with the fact that the Tories have cut police numbers dramatically since 2010?
If we are only now going to start hammering the Tories for “dropping the ball as the party of law & order” - then those making that argument - need to support some change of leadership in the actual Tory party, rather than voting for Diane Abbot to become our next head of police, secret, and other security services in this country. Perish the thought! :open_mouth:
It doesn’t help that she thinks she can employ ten thousand bobbies for less than a third of a million quid either, of course… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rneBbKrVE7A
Even if she manages to get her mits on the actual amount of cash really required - will it go on proper policing, which would include a segment towards overtime? - OR - would it just be some box ticking whitewash where not even Grammar enforcement and Sting find themselves with any additional ‘police presence’? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lru4dJ4J6g

Are the EU going to insist on the UK sending troops to defend Iran from Israeli/American aggression?

I would look at it the other way, the EU will be free from being lumbered with US/Israeli aggression. Remember, the 1973 oil crisis that Carryfast harps on about, was at its root due to UK support for Israel. It was attributed to Wilson in the 60s that the UK was kept out of the Vietnam war, which became an American-led quagmire just as Afghanistan and Iraq have.

The EU as a political entity is a demon. I don’t give a toss about “What about so-and-so leader somewhere else where it doesn’t affect me and mine”, so spare me the speeches slagging off Trump, Netenyahu, Orbin, Putin, et al who’ve only got in common that they are of the Right, and that friendship with such leaders would be good for the UK, rather than Bad for it.
If our government wants to make enemies - then let’s start with Saudi Arabia, since they fund that damnable so-called “Religion” and run it like a business, with their holy sites, etc.

If it’s wrong for Saddam Hussein to gas a village full of people, and we respond by killing a million plus innocents in that same country - then how about a Regime Change war vs anywhere that has Militant Islam running it? Left Wing version like Turkey/Iran or Right Wing like Saudi Arabia - I care not.

Islam is our enemy - not “Right Wing Leaders” of nuclear powers! :imp:

I disagree. It is “right wing leaders” that have created the very problem with Islamic fundamentalism - often by supporting it militarily, as the US did with Osama Bin Laden.

I agree that we shouldn’t be supporting Saudi Arabia, if that’s what your arguing here.