Night Trunking - anything I need to know?

adam277:
Is the boredom as bad as I suspect it will be? I mean in the day you can at least look at the sights.

Did a bit of it. Money was pretty good. £650 for 4 shortish (10 hoursish) nights work a week.

Quit in second week.

Soul destroying. Boring. Destroys your social life. Is unhealthy for you. After falling asleep whilst driving (for just a second or two) I parked up and had a 4 hour kip and put my phone on do not disturb. Transport were not pleased. My life and the lives of other people is worth more than that - so told them to knock the 4 hours money off and I wouldn’t be back.

I’ll get flamed and some abuse for being honest. But truthfully it’s atrocious. Stopping for breaks from the motorways can be more challenging as they are full up.

Diversions are signposted. Agency told me I was ‘no longer required by the client’ after I quit. No problem from me. Then two days later called me asking what it would take for me to go back. My answer was that nothing would get me back.

I’m sure you are a better man than me and can make it work. But I was so scared after falling asleep that I’d never do it again for any money. I was driving and started hallucinating - next thing I woke up and jerked into life. I probably was not cut out for it. I can do over 24 hours without sleep and be fine - but I can’t do full time nights.