Night Trunking - anything I need to know?

Decided to give it a try although I doubt I’ll like it.

Basically going from Essex to Birmingham and back. Does google maps show road closures?
Or is there a good website to use that is good for planning/avoiding roadclosures/roadworks etc… Basically I don’t want have to stop and check the map due to google maps trying to put me back on a road that is closed. Or is it a simple case of following diversion signs until I’m put back on on the motorway?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I very rarely drive at night.

Also is there anything else I should know?
At first I thought I may like it… But the thought of driving on the same roads day in day out will likely send me nuts. I also suspect it will hamper my efforts in trying to lose weight as well. Apparently your not allowed to stop on-route at all as well…

Yes google maps will show closures. Diversions are sign posted and marked if unsuitable for HGV although always worth checking.

Why are you not supposed to stop?

Hmmm… it’s dark :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

And loads of idiots driving DD trailers about :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is the boredom as bad as I suspect it will be? I mean in the day you can at least look at the sights.

adam277:
Is the boredom as bad as I suspect it will be? I mean in the day you can at least look at the sights.

Did a bit of it. Money was pretty good. £650 for 4 shortish (10 hoursish) nights work a week.

Quit in second week.

Soul destroying. Boring. Destroys your social life. Is unhealthy for you. After falling asleep whilst driving (for just a second or two) I parked up and had a 4 hour kip and put my phone on do not disturb. Transport were not pleased. My life and the lives of other people is worth more than that - so told them to knock the 4 hours money off and I wouldn’t be back.

I’ll get flamed and some abuse for being honest. But truthfully it’s atrocious. Stopping for breaks from the motorways can be more challenging as they are full up.

Diversions are signposted. Agency told me I was ‘no longer required by the client’ after I quit. No problem from me. Then two days later called me asking what it would take for me to go back. My answer was that nothing would get me back.

I’m sure you are a better man than me and can make it work. But I was so scared after falling asleep that I’d never do it again for any money. I was driving and started hallucinating - next thing I woke up and jerked into life. I probably was not cut out for it. I can do over 24 hours without sleep and be fine - but I can’t do full time nights.

I suspect I will be similar. I have no problem doing nights in general I used to work in a warehouse on nights for years but sitting still for a solid 3+ hours and staying alert… might be a bit of a test.

Yes don’t hold me up in the 50s :slight_smile:

A lot will depend on how well you can sleep during the day.
Used to finish at 06:00 no problems sleeping, changed shift starting and finishing later 12:00, struggled badly, ended up leaving.
Many like nights as it can be quieter on the roads and management tend to be tucked up in bed.

blue estate:

ROG:

And loads of idiots driving DD trailers about :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

^^^^^^^ both of the above, and you,
Need lights on.

adam277:
Apparently your not allowed to stop on-route at all as well…

When I was doing agency on nights I worked at one or two places like that but it never stopped me from stopping to pick up a coffee whenever I wanted one, no-one ever said anything and I went back to most places several times sometimes for months/years.

depends who you are trunking for,i suppose.my mate night trunks for RM out of Crick…absolute doddle of a job,but night time m/way closures is the biggest bugbear,he says.
i done 2 years nighting for Carryfast back in the '80’s,North Kilworth to Dewsbury,or Feltham…twice!..or a mix of the 2. 75mph cruising,and the OB turned a blind eye to 3rd lane overtaking back then,mostly.
happy daze! :smiley:

Anyone who enjoys night trunking that has found ways to get past the boredom?
Also anyone who has done it for a while had any issue with putting on weight?

I really want to give this a try but I suspect I will hate it… I mean the same people telling me you cant stop on route are entitled to a break from their office chair every hour…

You can still see the sights at night.
It’s dark out, but not ‘can’t see your hand in front of your face’ type dark.
You can watch the meteors a few times a year
You can look forward to the sun rising, which is usually always cool to watch.
If your facing boredom while driving, well. that’s on you to overcome.
Far worse (IMO) is when you’re at depot with people you’d rather not talk to, in which case get a tablet and watch Netflix/Now tv/Ptime etc.
It’s not uncommon to put weight on if you don’t do much, whether you’re driving a lorry or a desk.
The thing that you’ll probably struggle with the most is sleep /sleep pattern.
That takes a while to get used to, helped by having a set shift.
Overnight, the roads are quite good (m1,m25, no idea on m6 as I don’t use it), compared to the gridlock they can become during the day runs.

M6 Last night. Roadworks Everywhere it’s getting worst. I suggest to buy a good satnav for a newbie drivers out there it really helps alot.

Two days in… Hate it so far. I think time would pass quicker if I was watching paint dry.

Maybe I need to find a way for Google maps not to show the eta, clock or miles left because that’s all I look at. May need to mess with the truck clock as well so I can’t cheat. Suppose masking tape would work. :laughing:

Another annoying thing is there are a load of small things I can do to shave time off but I’m the only night driver who can speak English so I can’t really ask the other drivers for tips…
One question I have is can I take my card out for my 30 min break? I wanna take my card out as soon as I get to the depot that way I can. drive round to my trailer and hook up ready to go once the mins is up.

adam277:
Two days in… Hate it so far. I think time would pass quicker if I was watching paint dry.

Maybe I need to find a way for Google maps not to show the eta, clock or miles left because that’s all I look at. May need to mess with the truck clock as well so I can’t cheat. Suppose masking tape would work. :laughing:

Another annoying thing is there are a load of small things I can do to shave time off but I’m the only night driver who can speak English so I can’t really ask the other drivers for tips…
One question I have is can I take my card out for my 30 min break? I wanna take my card out as soon as I get to the depot that way I can. drive round to my trailer and hook up ready to go once the mins is up.

Do.you really think posting on an open forum that you want to work on your break is a good idea?

I don’t know if there is legally an issue removing your card but I was always told not to as it looks dodgy, I wonder why…

If you were to do the above remember that the truck will record that its been driven without a card and depending on size of depot the odometer may change which makes it even more obvious. I wonder if it would also be classed as creating a false record rather than infringement which would be far more serious

I’ve been doing it for a few months and much prefer it to normal artic driving, mostly because there are fewer nutty car drivers and only gotta watch for Hermes and Tuffnells units.

Did have problems with staying awake for first week but now get better sleep than when doing 15 hour days getting up at 4am.

Food does seem to be every different, still got bag of snacks like days and still not size 20. Naturally i only eat when stationary incase vosa are watching. :wink:

Talking of vosa, very rarely see them unless running late on return to depot although police do occasional ADR checks.

Biggest headaches are road closures. For me its M1, A50, M62, A52, A38, A47 and M6 are regularly shut but random locations and random times.

Since you obviously hate the job why continue with it?
Sounds like you’re winding yourself up before you even get behind the wheel for your shift. Look for something else, mate.

Taking card out? If the your office don’t notice you may “get away with it”. If you’re in an accident, even if you didn’t cause it, your feet won’t touch the ground. And all to save a few minutes. Don’t do it.

If there is no other work to step into immediately at least look around for some, so you don’t feel so fed up. Work isn’t always a great laugh, but should be better than it seems to be for you on nights.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk