W.H.WILLIAMS (spennymoor)

I worked as a fitter for two main dealerships and in the nine years I was with them there was never any mention of working overtime. If the vehicle wasn’t ready then the customer had to wait until the following day for it, no way would we be allowed to work late to get it finished. Most were own account operators like the Gas Board or BRS etc to be fair and they usually had a few spare vehicles to use so no pressure on us, we did no work at all for ‘private hauliers’ that I can recall apart from a few removal companies like yourselves but they also had to wait!

We did have a couple of fitters who were very ‘steady’ as well, a father and son team. :laughing: Scenario; remove a BMC engine to fit a new unit, simple. Not with that pair, numerous ■■■ breaks and plenty of time sitting on an oil drum chatting. The foreman came along one day to hurry them up, both engines still sitting on the floor after several hours and numerous ■■■■ being smoked. “What does it sound like then John?” he asked and John replied “Keys are in, jump in the cab and try it for yourself” and the foreman would wander off shaking his head and muttering to himself! When it was finally finished, and the test run had been completed, the foreman asked how it went; “Does it go like a bomb then lad?” he asked and the reply was that he didn’t know anything about that. “So, what do you mean you don’t know, you gave it a long enough run?” well, I don’t thrash new engines! He never could get the better of that pair! :laughing:

Pete.