Drivers from the late 50s

Hi.
1956 Started on Austin 3ways and Ford 4D’s in Derby,delivering to corner shops from a food distribution company wharehouse.Come '58 i am 19 and they added a Ford Thames Trader artic to the fleet,one day i turn in and i am asked if i had done around Coalville/Swadlincote area. “Yes” i said they then said “Jump in that artic and get off,its loaded for CoalV/Swad,so off you go. I thought you had to be 21 to drive an artic and told them,they said “Don’t worry about that,just take it carefully.
2 of the drops were at locations where the businesses ran Mobile shops… The first one of these meant you had to reverse down a drive,garden each side about 75 yds about 15mins later i am at the garage to unload…Rose garden one side flattened,but we had a laugh about it,he was happy to get his gear. The second Mobile outfit was behind 2 big wooden doors in a brick wall,down a narrowish road in Swadlincote,next to a small shop type workers cafe,complete with a huge big window. I had only been given one tip before i left the yard. “Try and always back in on the drivers side”.Half a tank of fuel later,i parked up and lit a ■■■,still on the road. A chap came out of the cafe and asked if i wanted him to back it in for me ? “Yes” says i,“And i will buy you another breakfast”. He got in and fired it up and told me to watch him saying those famous words.” The secret is to keep it as straight as possible going back while turning,Jackknifing it in comes when you have a bit more experience” Then slotted it in in one go. Will remember that day as long as i live and the advice was proper. Loads of “Tales from the Turntable”,but haven’t we all. Keep your Wheel nuts and U bolts tight!! G’night.
Hulltramper