Constant lower back ache

I’ve been driving a merc axor for about 3 years and was in constant pain in my lower back. I always blamed the crap seat in it…but last wk the firm I work for gave me a 67plate Volvo,got lumbar support the works…but yet ive still been in pain all wk…is it my back or the way I sit?

I think you may be better off asking your GP, You’ve only got one back, get it looked at, the longer you leave it then the greater the risk of future permanent undo-able damage.

==============================================================
Also I’ve moved this to the HEALTH AND FAMILY forum as it seems more suited there.

Had the same thing up to about a year ago. It still pains now and again but I’m now on top of it.
Anyway I went to the GP and was put on tramadol for the pain (which helped but wasn’t 100% effective) he put my on to the physio and it was some simple exercises that really got to the bottom.
I was advised to the following basic exercises.
Slow squats about 5 in a row twice a day
Rolling the head in 1 direction for 5 rotations and then the same the other twice a day.
And as often as possible get your partner to roll a tennis ball up and down either side of your spine (increasing the presure over time)
And apply deep freeze to the affected area.
Don’t use deep heat or any inflammatory creams or medication as this will agravate it.
Also bring your seats back rest forward 1 notch as this will help your posture to get back in line as long as you have your seat back in an upright postion.
Hope this helps.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Have you been to the docs in this country…last time I went they fobbed me off with a strained back…if u come back ill see if the therapist will show you some stretches

I use to work in a supermarket lugging 25kg of spuds all day…1 day I was on the floor in agony with shooting pains I just hope I ain’t knackered a disc or summat

I had similar pains when I was driving, was put on pain killers by the Dr. Carried on when I left driving full time and got to the point where I was in constant pain from the waist down. Dr sent me to Physio which made it worse.

In the end I went to my local osteopathic clinic, best move I have ever made. His assessment was that the muscles for the lower 3 vertebra were pulling them backwards and trapping the nerve, been going there every 3 months for 7 years now and it the best its ever been. He has said that he can do no more, but every 3 months he loosens them off again. Costs me £140 a year, but can honestly say its the best money I spend

Go to Dr ask to see Pain Management they sorted my fractured back prolapsed disc crumbling disc excessive wear in disc after MRI scan had injections in the back not nice & a few tablets to take each day ( must take for rest of life mind & yep I hated taking tablets if fact never took any ever even after fracturing the back ) for the pain I also had physio who gave me some exercise to do all of this helps although sometimes still get some pain but at least I know what it is so cope with it

lizard:
Had the same thing up to about a year ago. It still pains now and again but I’m now on top of it.
Anyway I went to the GP and was put on tramadol for the pain (which helped but wasn’t 100% effective) he put my on to the physio and it was some simple exercises that really got to the bottom.
Rolling the head in 1 direction for 5 rotations and then the same the other twice a day.
And as often as possible get your partner to roll a tennis ball up and down either side of your spine (increasing the presure over time)
Don’t use deep heat or any inflammatory creams or medication as this will agravate it.
Also bring your seats back rest forward 1 notch as this will help your posture to get back in line as long as you have your seat back in an upright postion.
Hope this helps.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Yes, I have cream crackered multifidus and it was physio that helped the most, though I’m rubbish at staying on top of the exercises.

Another tip for loosening up tight shoulders: roll up a towel, place it on a hard surface and then lie down on top of the towel so that it runs vertically along your spine and let your shoulders relax back. Sheesh it can hurt :wink: , but if you spend a lot of time hunching forward, clutching a steering wheel, tight shoulders are going to happen.

albion:

lizard:
Hope this helps.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Yes, I have cream crackered multifidus and it was physio that helped the most, though I’m rubbish at staying on top of the exercises.

Another tip for loosening up tight shoulders: roll up a towel, place it on a hard surface and then lie down on top of the towel so that it runs vertically along your spine and let your shoulders relax back. Sheesh it can hurt :wink: , but if you spend a lot of time hunching forward, clutching a steering wheel, tight shoulders are going to happen.

Thanks for the towel advise. Will give it ago at the weekend and see if it helps my shoulders.
Every bit of advice is worth ago to see if it helps.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Start with a hand towel lizard, if your shoulders are anything like mine were, it’ll stretch out the muscles more than you might imagine!

albion:
Start with a hand towel lizard, if your shoulders are anything like mine were, it’ll stretch out the muscles more than you might imagine!

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Will be giving it ago tomorrow night when I get home.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

or 1 of the spike ball or tennis ball ( can use in cab if need )

foam roller but do ask in a good sports shop

albion:

Thankyou very much for the advice albion, I gave it ago, but just for a few minutes to see how it felt and my god that was painful but also helpful as well. Just 1 question thou. Is it better to have a cushion under your head or just tilt your head back touching the floor.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Told you not to use too big a towel the first time :laughing:

I put a cushion under my head

I’m in the office so I can’t listen to this, but this guy seems to be doing a similar thing with a large piece of foam that extends to provide support for his head as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=vQYRj8vMQEQ

i fell/slipped in snow in February, sustained a bruise on left buttock and thigh and a larger bruise of my pride :frowning: . anyway picked myself up and carried on. as the day went I developed a ache in my lower back but decided to carry on as best as I could rather than seize up. into march and the ache is not getting better, I don’t think bouncing around country lanes in a ageing steel sprung daf was helping so paid a visit to my doctor who prescribed co-codomol and offered physio. (still waiting for a appointment).for a few weeks now I have been plagued with sudden painful twinges in my upper back around the lower rib cage , the co-codomol helps but I’m of the opinion its masking a problem rather than solving it. fast forward to this morning , get up for work ,pick kettle up and turn toward the tap and ###******#### !!! . I’m typing this from my bed as moving about is a bit “uncomfortable”. on the up side ive managed to get a appointment with a osteopath on Monday morning for a 1hr session, hopefully she will sort me out. ps if anyone is passing , would you mind dropping by with a bottle of rum as I think it might be more effective than the stuff the NHS dishes out :smiley:

Osteos are pretty good Syramax, that should help, or at least identify what has happened. I saw one about my back and he had me bending backwards, forwards, to the left, to the right and then he said, does it hurt here? And jabbed his finger exactly where it was most sore - nearly jumped 10’ in the air.

Have you tried those heat wrap things - can get them from the chemist or a big supermarket, they help ease the discomfort.

not tried the heat wrap (yet) but I’m prepared to give it a go thanks for the suggestion . I got a neoprene belt with magnets , (ebay) the jurys still out .some days I think its working others not so .it may just be the placebo effect ■■?

Its not cheap but I see a private osteopath every few months. Cracks it back and keeps me going. Unless you are very lucky a GP isn’t interested.

Osteopath is able to manipulate bones not just do muscles so is better than physio if you have that sort of issue Try and get a recommendation as they are not cheap if you get a poor one

seen the osteopath on Monday (was a bit wary to be honest) anyway it wasn’t too unpleasant a experience and the lower back pain is a bit easier . I’m doing the simple exercises he gave me and they are getting easier. still have the upper back and ribcage spasms , have tried to get in to see my doc as I now require a note for work " nothing till middle of next week “” they have got me a appointment at the local access centre (the hospital) . they don’t issue sick notes but they will be able to give me something for the pain . how do the unemployed fill their day ■■ I’m bored bored bored !!! honestly cant wait to get sorted and get back to work .

kcrussell25:
Its not cheap but I see a private osteopath every few months. Cracks it back and keeps me going. Unless you are very lucky a GP isn’t interested.

Osteopath is able to manipulate bones not just do muscles so is better than physio if you have that sort of issue Try and get a recommendation as they are not cheap if you get a poor one

I think it depends on exactly what is wrong. I found the osteoporosis was good, but after a few days the pain came back, whereas the physio gave me exercises that as long as I do them, keeps me moving.