Guy

Bewick:
Well let me spell it out for you “CF” ! Foden’s, ERF’s and Atkinson, never mind about GUY, Seddon and Scammell could never obtain the number of Gardner engines they required ! So how the [zb] were individual operators able to ask their Local vehicle Spare parts dealers to supply an 8LXB engine ! “Oh! now what can I do for you to-day Mr. Operator, ----- What ! are you having a [zb] laugh Mate ! You want what ? a complete ready to install 8LXB engine !” " How many ? 40 !. " 'Ere John come out 'ere mate there’s a Geezer at the counter wants a complete 8 LXB engine ! Yea it’s that Geezer from Leatherhead ! Oh! not that silly [zb] again . :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

I’d doubt that we’re talking about 40 engines supplied all at once.Or possibly even 40 vehicles.Or that the deal had anything to do with Leyland Parts department.

What if it went along the lines of sorry we can’t do a new order Big J with an 8 LXB in it because we just can’t get them to meet the required production schedules.But what we can do is supply you with a 180 and then we’ll convert it for you on the line at a very favourable cost as and when the limited/unreliable supplies of 8 LXB’s allow.Or we’ll supply you with what’s needed if you want to do the job yourself as and when we get them to save time and aggro.All of the resulting bitsas would obviously result in the ‘right’ engine numbers ending up with the respective chassis thereby wiping out any previous 180 type history.Also creating the situation in which some people think that the factory converted ( ‘made’ ) ( all ) of them from new,or that the factory did less than it actually did,or some customer conversions being confused with factory conversions and then counted on the grapevine twice etc etc and the actual documented/remembered numbers of the things produced being all over the place as a result as time went by. :bulb: :wink: