Empire Windrush Generation

Wheel Nut:

windrush:
No Cav, pretty certain that I sneaked in under their radar in mums handbag and I’m here for the duration now haha! :laughing: I didn’t come in from the Commonwealth either of course, and no way am I going back there!! :open_mouth: Made me chuckle this morning on the news when they mentioned ‘Windrush Generation’ folk coming here in the 1960’s as the ship went to the bottom of the Med in 1954, I realise it is just a generic term though. :wink:

Pete.

I wonder how many were in the queue for that one, just missed it, on waiting list etc [emoji14]

I read a book about Windrush, it was ever so interesting

‘Luckily’ only four engine room workers lost their lives, presumably in the initial explosion and fire, the passengers (mainly military with their families) and remaining crew were all saved. It sank while under tow. It was in use as a troop ship when it brought my parent’s and myself to the UK from Libya in 1951 but as I was only six months old have no recollection of the voyage! :laughing: Apparently I spent a lot of time on the bridge in my basket as it was (a) quiet and (b) it allowed my parents some time together. Now I wonder if that was where I heard my first swear words? :confused: :wink:

Pete.