ADR Licence. Is it worth the time & money?

kscoombs:
I haven’t had a current ADR for a few years now after it expired before I got into driving for a job. I do remember speaking to a few tanker drivers back then at the pumps when I first thought about the work. They were impressed I had my ADR and class 1 (I was only 20) and I bit jealous when they saw I had classes 3 and 7 which I’m told are quite rare (not sure if that’s true). Can you guess where I got my license and ADR? [emoji28]

As for your main point. Despite being in a very different position to you (don’t currently hold or need ADR) I have to agree. The training on the job, specific to the equipment used and materials carried has to be far more relevant. I imagine the problem from the government perspective is one of controlling standards. Whilst it is obviously in every companies interest to train their drivers to a standard where risk (and potential monetary loss through various means) are minimised, unfortunately there are always cowboys in the industry with little care for anything other than their short term gain.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

In the Army, as you say it is rare for people to have both class 1 and 7, explosives and radioactive.
I still keep my ADR up to date as I get 28 hours towards my DCPC card so only have to do another 1 module to get my 35 hours, company pays for it so cannot really complain! Think the course for packages and tankers is around £480, Cheer’s Pete