Biggest challenges as a trucker

Regarding the long tipping times - There is already something in place - it’s called charging demurrage (I’m not being patronising and apologise if you already know this).

This is basically an hourly charge that is levied against the company for taking an unnecessarily long time to unload. Usually applicable after a certain period of say, 2 hours.

Unfortunately it’s very and I mean VERY rare that any haulier ever actually charges this. Usually because they won’t stand up for fear of losing work.

We are in a weird industry where the customer makes the terms and conditions instead of the service/goods provider.

I.E imagine going to Sky and saying I’m only going to pay you £25 for the full package not the full £80 it warrants and by the way I’m only paying that £25 after 90 days from the end of this month and so on so forth.
Oh and when you come and fit the dish if you are 15 mins early or late I’m going to refuse to have it fitted on that day. And I may charge you for not fitting it.

Also - if I haven’t room in the front of my house for the dish and the box or if I’m having something else fitted at that moment - your fitter is going to have to use his van as storage until I can be arsed to make room or open the door and he will have to wait. If he doesn’t I’ll make sure you never come again.

Now thank me for allowing you to provide a service where I have dictated every variable.

Great isn’t it?