Another class 1 idiot on the road

Big credit to chis at Peter smythes. First time lucky after three attempts at class2.

I feel like I fluked it especially the reverse. But I passed! Very pleased.

Have realized these artics are a bit harder than rigids so have a lot to learn!

If anyone is thinking about it then do it in a propper artic. If I can pass in one you can.

Congratulations. Looking forward to your class 1 stories!

Jimmy McNulty:
Congratulations. Looking forward to your class 1 stories!

I hope they are less ridiculous than my class 2 antics. I really don’t think I’d get away with those stunts in an artic.

I have a week or twos traIning being paid lined up. Frankly if I was asked to drive class one now I would but would refuse to put it on a bay when I got to the destination. I’d insist on a shunter doing it. That sounds pathetic but I have no interest in damaging anyone or anything.

Going forward is okay - but I do need the learn to take corners better. My method on test was when in doubt take both lanes - but in busy cities it won’t be that easy.

sammym:

Jimmy McNulty:
Frankly if I was asked to drive class one now I would but would refuse to put it on a bay when I got to the destination. I’d insist on a shunter doing it. That sounds pathetic but I have no interest in damaging anyone or anything.

I appreciate what your saying but in this day and age of H&S BS and insurance B&S it’s highly unlikely that a shunter would entertain putting your wagon on a bay for you,what happens if he has an bump ect driving a wagon he’s not insured to do so.
Nowadays shutters only leave their tugs for ■■■ breaks :smiley:

Congrats btw :slight_smile:

You’re probably better than you give yourself credit. Well done on the pass.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Congrats pal!

sammym:
Frankly if I was asked to drive class one now I would but would refuse to put it on a bay when I got to the destination. I’d insist on a shunter doing it. That sounds pathetic but I have no interest in damaging anyone or anything.

You need to remember that your reversing was good enough to pass your test so it’s good enough to stick it on a bay, reversing isn’t witchcraft or dark magic it’s something you are taught to do and then fine tune and improve upon over time and with repetition

You will get to the point where you think “yeah I’m a reversing god”, which is usually followed soon after by a scrape or bang that swiftly brings you back down to mere mortal status again but you’ll get there nonetheless.

Just remember:
Slow and steady - You do it at your pace not what you (often wrongly) assume the warehouse or other drivers think is acceptable.
Get Out And Look - Someone went to a lot of effort to come up with that acronym, don’t let it go to waste.
Check, check and re-check - Never just assume your clear left, right, behind or even in front, many have lost a step or scraped a bumper because they focused solely on the trailer and not what the cabs doing
Don’t be a [zb] (rhymes with hunt), shunt! - It takes as many shunts as it needs, there is no limit though these will drastically reduce over time and the more proficient you get
Even us seasoned “experts” will still make a complete ■■■■ up of reversing on occasion, the difference is we don’t sweat it, we call ourselves a “[zb]ing numpty” and then just get on and correct the manoeuvre
And finally, Enjoy it!

Well done mate! :slight_smile: now you have passed you can start learning. Reversing is a piece of ■■■■, steer from the bottom of the wheel. Sorry for the flippant statement, I found it as hard as anyone else to begin with, in fact, I’ve on more than one occasion threatened to jack it in and stick with rigid. Then I became a shunter, took me about a week to get good.

If you are interested in being a shunter, stobarts at Lutterworth are advertising, the pay is 13.32 per hour and I know from personal experience that ot is t+1/2 and double on a Sunday. It’s a pretty good gig and I know that you were looking for something more permanent. It’s nice 8 hr shifts too, was at bardon, I was there for 13 months so that says something.

I can’t do links, but look on indeed for yard marshal Lutterworth.

Oh and they are quite willing to take new passes. Do it for 6 months and you will have all the experience you need in employers eyes

I bet being a shunter is a great way to very quickly get ace at reversing.

You get good very fast, there’s very little winding of legs, bonus! The tugs have better visibility and after 6 months or so you will be a want to future employers.

It’s a good rate too, you’re not too far from Lutterworth either are you? That’s why I thought I’d mention it to you. But seriously mate, the job is so easy! You won’t want to do anything else. There are some real well paid jobs as well, I’m going to be on nearly 17 per hr and I know that I start at 18:00 every day and not a minute earlier and I finish at 03:00 and not a minute later. It doesn’t matter to me if they close roads, vosa have the mother of all clampdowns. Whatever happens, I know exactly when I start and when I’m done. The only way I could be on any better money is if I were driving a telehandler, and even then I would have to be self employed

Some sound advice here! Firstly, congratulations on the pass. Reversing does come with practice. It’s well documented that it took me a couple of years to master the art - - and 40+ years later it still doesn’t work sometimes.

Whether you are shunting or driving, all practice is good. Don’t give up; reverse at every sensible opportunity and don’t avoid it.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There’s some excellent reversing advice on this thread: heed it, and you’ll wake up one day realising that you can reverse a left-■■■■■■ on the blind-side in the dark and the driving sleet - all without kinching :sunglasses: ! Good luck. Robert

sammym:
I have a week or twos traIning being paid lined up. Frankly if I was asked to drive class one now I would but would refuse to put it on a bay when I got to the destination. I’d insist on a shunter doing it.

Congratulations on the pass.

As far as reversing onto a bay goes (and this will be of no help whatsoever), you’ll find that one day it just clicks and you can do it. Until then (and this IS useful advice), take as much time as you need and don’t be afraid to get out and check. Ask someone to keep an eye on clearances if need be. Filling out accident forms will always take longer!

If you always get other people to do it for you, you’ll never learn.

Cavey.

Congratulations!

IronEddie:
I bet being a shunter is a great way to very quickly get ace at reversing.

I did the shunting gig at our place for about a year before I took my C+E. It certainly helps a lot as it gives you the art of reversing day in day out. When it comes to using a unit though it is different as a tug is perfect for reversing but the basics are there and I do believe it made the transition from rigid to artic a lot easier doing it that way.

I would also add for people worrying about reversing, after a while it does become instinctive and you won’t have to really think about what your doing. Muscle memory tells you which way to turn the wheel, hence occasions jumping in a rigid and trying to reverse it on a bay you look like a numpty that has only just barely passed a test lol

As said it can take a while but eventually something will just click and reversing becomes a lot easier.

All good advice as well take you time shut as many times as you need and GOAL if your not sure. Sod everyone else make them wait.