Average hours?

Hi gents,

Bit of a random question really and I know it will vary a lot from job to job but I was wondering if any of you experienced drivers on here could tell me how hard it is to get a driving job with good working times? (50 hours a week).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 is usually the min often your expected to work more especially if tramping.
Day rate is very common as well so it usually works out that they are paying you less then they claimed during interview.

There are expections but generally 50+ hours a week is the norm for full timers.

adam277:
Day rate is very common as well so it usually works out that they are paying you less then they claimed during interview.

There are expections but generally 50+ hours a week is the norm for full timers.

Don’t think I’d like to be stuck on a day rate. Does that ever work out better for the driver? I’m guessing 7am is a pretty standard starting time for a day driver as well?

chrismollard:

adam277:

Don’t think I’d like to be stuck on a day rate. Does that ever work out better for the driver? I’m guessing 7am is a pretty standard starting time for a day driver as well?

Depends who you work for, a lot of the companies that I have worked for average around 11 hours a day on hourly rate but you need to be flexible, some longer days and shorter days to compensate, it depends on traffic and loading so often at short notice.
05:00-06:00 starts are probably most in demand so you may struggle to get at first…be flexible, get your foot in the door, get experience then work it out from there…there’s some well paid work about!

I average about 65 hours per week.

If you want 50 hours a week I would have thought something like delivering building materials locally may suit, or possibly shop deliveries.

On class 1 you could be looking at trunking for one of the parcel delivery firms or something like that, I doubt that you would find a tramping or general haulage job where 50 hours a week is the maximum expected.

chrismollard:
I’m guessing 7am is a pretty standard starting time for a day driver as well?

Depends on the firm. Day shifts can start as early as 4am. I do days and nights at my company, days start at 4am and nights start at 4pm.

Lee1976:

chrismollard:
I’m guessing 7am is a pretty standard starting time for a day driver as well?

Depends on the firm. Day shifts can start as early as 4am. I do days and nights at my company, days start at 4am and nights start at 4pm.

4am sounds like a tough one. Nice and quite at that time though.

Did 48 per week 4 on 4 off for Aldi. Always back early and driving a forklift or shunting until my hours were up. Now I’m on 8 hrs a day shunting

48 hours max (in a 17 week period) at our place (DHL). don’t do POA,they won’t pay overtime,so they stand us down,with pay of course,if we are running over our hours…that’s why i’m at home today :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:
48 hours max (in a 17 week period) at our place (DHL). don’t do POA,they won’t pay overtime,so they stand us down,with pay of course,if we are running over our hours…that’s why i’m at home today :slight_smile:

What’s POA??

chrismollard:
What’s POA??

Period Of Availability

POA doesn’t count as working time but it doesn’t count as rest either.

Sent from my mobile.

On day or night shifts you could do 50 hours a week. I would say most likely a couple of hours more in a 5-day week. 4-on-4-off 12 hour shifts would be the best bet getting 48 hours per week. Tramping I would say very unlikely. As a hourly paid tramper I was doing around 65 hours, and as a tramper on a day rate more like 55 to 60 hours.

A few of the lads who were good at manipulating and dragging-out their jobs could get between 45 and 50 hours on days. If you got back to the yard after 9 hours, the firm wouldn’t load you up and send you out again. So drag your deliveries out until 9 hours has gone, then back to the yard and home time.

I remember the Stobart driver trainer in the induction saying that it’s “assumed” trampers prefer to be driving and earning, rather than being parked-up for the night. So the planners inherently try to max-out their trampers’ hours. Three 15 hour days and two 13s, and an extra shift every month. In general, trampers will work some serious hours.

chrismollard:
Hi gents,

Bit of a random question really and I know it will vary a lot from job to job but I was wondering if any of you experienced drivers on here could tell me how hard it is to get a driving job with good working times? (50 hours a week).

Supermarket work tends to be sensible hours and that’s what I do although it’s not for everyone.

bald bloke:

chrismollard:
Hi gents,

Supermarket work tends to be sensible hours and that’s what I do although it’s not for everyone.

Not for everyone because it’s like trunking?? Seems like there’s lots to choose from.

chrismollard:

bald bloke:

chrismollard:
Hi gents,

Not for everyone because it’s like trunking?? Seems like there’s lots to choose from.

There is a lot a variety in hours worked in different sectors. Lot of variety in pay structures too. Salaried, day rate, hourly, with different rules on paid breaks, plus loads of different bonus incentive schemes.
As a new driver you won’t necessarily get the full palette to choose from!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

chrismollard:

bald bloke:

chrismollard:
Hi gents,

There is a lot a variety in hours worked in different sectors. Lot of variety in pay structures too. Salaried, day rate, hourly, with different rules on paid breaks, plus loads of different bonus incentive schemes.
As a new driver you won’t necessarily get the full palette to choose from!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I can well imagine your spot on. Start where you can and work the rounds until something suits I’m guessing.