Why work for this pay?

Before I came to my company I spent 6 months trying out the self employed game, the very first day I started I was told by the man who helped me get started that companies who take on lease or owner drivers do their best to keep drivers deep in debt and owing the company and it’s true, the first month I made a small fortune, it was December and I was hauling Christmas mail, after that it went downhill, disgustingly low rates, lies and utter BS, being away from home for weeks on end with a couple of days home after 4 to 6 weeks and I was broke. I was offered a job with my present company ‘Foodliner’ and it saved my life, my marriage and my bank balance. When I told the money grabbing company I was leaving they tried every type of trick to stop me leaving, from offering me a dedicated run that would get me home every weekend (which I didn’t believe) to then saying how they had paid me more than I had earned when I was doing the mail runs, it didn’t work and I got my stuff out of the cab and quit, they still owe me for my very last run from Homestead FL to Springfield MS, the from there as far as Albany NY which was where I got out of the cab leaving someone who I had considered a good friend behind the wheel. I was continuously pestered on the phone by them sometimes threatening me with various things, then being very nice and telling me what a good driver I was and please come back, then there was the “Foodliner are just lying to get you there, they will not keep their promises”
" You mean like you didn’t then"
As it happens Foodliner have not only kept every promise they made 11 years ago, they have gone above and beyond their promises. I am so glad I stopped listening to the others.