Another inverter question

Hi All,

This might have been covered before but I have just registered and can’t seem to find much info.

Essentially I am looking specifically for “Pit Falls” when installing an inverter.

I know what I want to install, battery and inverter wise, I only want to charge the stand alone batteries whilst it’s in the shed and hooked up to the mains, that way I will have fully charged batteries with enough power to have the microwave, when I need it (once or twice per outing)

It’s just a 7.5 ton lorry and I want it to be a permanent installation, and not fed from the truck batteries at all.

I was going for the 24V batteries and inverter as I recon the cabling will not need to be as heavy duty to carry say 40 amps.

Preferably looking to install a remote controlled inverter as it will be hidden away.

Are there bad inverters out there I should avoid, or problems I wouldn’t necessarily consider, the fitting and wiring I can do easily enough, but you are the experts so I thought I would ask… anyone had any disaster they have learned from.

Thanks All

Probably get more replies in the PDF so I’ll move it over. :wink:

Why not install a split charging system like motorhomes and cars that tow caravans have so you don’t flatten the main batteries but you don’t have the faff of having to take them out and charge them every week?

If your going to do it, with separate batteries, then you will need a split charging system, and use leisure batteries. Like what weekend travellers use.

I doubt very much if stand alone batteries will hold their charge long enough to use a microwave twice between charges. Even a 700w microwave actually draws about 1100w when being used on full power. It’s normally recommended to run the engine whilst using a 240v microwave through an inverter as if it does drain the batteries too much you can damage the microwave.