Tipper Driving

You could get a fair lean on with twin rams, real arse clenching at times! :laughing: Makes me laugh when I see folk advising new drivers; “Make sure the truck is level before tipping” nowadays, we had to tip six and eight leggers on all manner of inclines and halfway in ditches etc and never bothered too much about the thing falling over even though the rams sometimes jammed on the collars and the body wouldn’t drop!:roll: The late Fred Brownlee taught me too just get the body up as fast as possible tipping stone across a slope and it will never fall over as the load will shift before that happens, don’t worry about the material going over the taildoor etc but just get the load out quickly. Trouble was that Fred used to do the same when tipping tarmac into pavers, he didn’t exactly endear himself to some of the gangs and one day he shot a load of black up in a temporary depot at Lower Brailes and it came out so fast (he had dieseled the body floor!) that it missed the bay completely! :open_mouth: Most of it ended up in a field behind and I had to go out with another load for them! :laughing:

Pete.