Good long term career to get into?

Don’t let all the naysayers put you off.

I’m 22 and always wanted to drive trucks, I love it! Being out on the road is great, it’s easy, relaxing, I find it stress free. Make sure you get in a company that pays by the hour. 12+ hour days are nowhere near as bad as they sound, I’ve worked 8 hour days in retail and manufacturing and it was terrible. Always tired, grubby, sweaty etc,in a truck the time flies by.

Because me and OP are young guns, we don’t know what it was back in ‘the old days’ with no night heater, clunky crash manuals, analogue tachos. The norm for us is nice interiors, smooth autos and modern trucks driven by electronics. Waaaay better.

I’ve never had a bad employer, all my superiors have been very respectful and kind. I’ve witnessed a lot of older drivers who whinge and moan out their ■■■, say ‘no’ to everything, never take any O/T and wonder why their superior doesn’t give them any respect.

Right now I have my Cat C but only drive 7.5t in my job. Mon-Fri distance day work 1-3 drops a day, average 55hrs a week and paid £10/hr base with 1.5x after 40hrs. I’d definitely recommend doing it!