PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Foley’s Scania.

I must admit, I don’t remember Foley running Scanias, only Mercedes and some secondhand Atkinsons for local work

Apart from other services they may have operated, B+I Line shared the Pandoro service into Dublin on a 50/50 basis, starting in 1976 - in those far off, pre-open borders era, I was led to understand that their participation was the price of P&O’s access to the port of Dublin. At that time, B+I was a “semi-state corporation” i.e. state owned, but with a remit to operate on a commercial basis and so strive for profit.

B+I operated only a trailer fleet, with no tractors of their own (at least in the U.K.) but. Foley was the nearest thing to their own fleet. I don’t know if it was true, but the tale in the late 1970s was that Mr Foley, or perhaps a relation, was the Transport Minister in Eire, and thus connected with B+I, if only loosely.

One of the Borderers bought secondhand from Pandoro for local work from Fleetwood and Liverpool:

GHG 939N Atkinson Borderer by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Back in the day early 80,s B+ I trailers bought are product from Castlebar ( S.Ireland ) to Warrington for Baxter Healthcare we were on the Grange Ind Est next to the funny shaped building ( Barclays Bank ) and are other neighbour was Rowntree Mac and the next warehouse to use was Ex-import from Cardiff ( I think ) who remembers them white F 88/89,S . Foley,s would be in and out a least 3 times a day with full loads, just thinking about Foleys I,m sure they also had some Merc in plain Orange, not sure if that was before they got painted in the green or different part of the company