Good long term career to get into?

I was in retail for the best part of 20 years before starting to drive last year. I was a manager so earned more but also worked longer hours. I had to deal with phone calls and emails on my days off as well. Personally I would have loved a tachograph- must have a break/must have a day off etc.

The job can be stressful but I think any job can. Its certainly less than I used to have. Also anything more than a minor problem is a phone call to the office to make it their problem. If they want to micro manage you they can! However that applies to most jobs now. In food retail the cashiers have target speeds for scanning or the replenishment colleague how much to put out in an hour.

As has been said the job is a way of life and your partner (if applicable) needs to understand this. You won’t know your finish time, or even if you will get home sometimes until it actually happens.

That above said I enjoy it. On the whole I am left alone and not asked for anything impossible. People will say you can’t make “good money” anymore. Thats about context. If your coming from retail it will almost certainly be a pay rise. It will also likely be longer hours though depending what you do it will be less work. I have spent a lot of time sitting waiting for paperwork or to be unloaded so whilst I would do long hours they were not the hard hours I used to do.

Personally I would say if you are able go to college and qualify as a plumber or electrician. Better money and less/more social hours. However if you can’t take the time to do that in 2 weeks you can be qualified to drive a arctic and earn about £30k a year. Remember though as a new pass you will put the hours in to earn it!

Best of luck whatever you do