Small EE-Scandinavia diary

Sooo… trailer empty and I had already found out that what had originally been a “out thursday, back on the ferry saturday”, was actually “out thursday, back on the ferry to Finland saturday, tip Helsinki Vantaa airport sunday”. But as it only delayed a sunday lunchtime finish by a few hours, no worries. I’ll catch the 13.30 ferry from Helsinki after tipping Finnair and have plenty of leeway just in case.

About 20 miles later I’m at Oslo airport Gardermoen, Roadfeeders airfreight terminal. Sign on the door says loading from midnight until 2pm, I’m booked for 6am tomorrow. I had looked up the place on Google Streetview, to see that it had ample parking, but it was as full as the last services heading into Paris at 11pm sunday evening.

Most of Eastern Europe represented :smiley:

There’s a layby a couple of miles back which is nice, as Oslo is a crappy place to find a place to sleep. Well this place is a little further out already but still. Uber got fined €500k for providing illegal taxi service in Oslo last year, but looking at their local site and the cars waiting in the opposite layby, I’d say they’re back in business.

Back to Roadfeeders for 6am after a terrible night of sleep on the broken bed,straight onto the bay for a load of fresh salmon from the Bergen area and other places I couldn’t quite put my finger or just by looking at the pallets. Brought here possibly by another estonian driver, working for a haulier in Oslo. Was quite a talkative chap, but as the stories he was interested in telling were of the tall variety, was quite relieved to see him tipped and gone.

It’s a shame that “How to make friends and influence people” has always been sold out in Estonia, think of all the friends I could’ve made along the way. I mean, we could have become Facebook friends, shared phone numbers, I could still be listening to him right now, he would probably make a perfect best man for my next wedding etc.

All done by 8am, the person I spoke to at the office was from Australia and the papers were prepared by a polish guy. A clean bathroom and a shower for the drivers if needed. And the cargo itself is heading to:

New York, Bangkok, Hong Kong and South Korea. The funny thing is, the transport itself is stated as a “flight”, with a flight number and such

Although the gaffer was quite sure they weren’t going to start loading before 8am and a driver from the company who called me several times, was adamant this was the case, I’d say the early bird gets the worm rings quite true here as well. From all the trucks arriving here between 7 and 8, the waiting time looked to be close to three hours when I left.

There’s a Circle K next door, so went in for a cup o joe and something to snack on. Most of the service chains in Norway do a “buy the cup and get free coffee for a year” type of deal, I have the €30 cup but alas, at home. Got the €3.5 coffee but no fresh pastries :neutral_face:

The roads get rural pretty fast after leaving the big city lights behind you, it’s like -8c and that is much better than, say, -2.

Different border this time, Eda. Was actually the logical choice when coming the other way, but the customs papers said otherwise, so a 40km detour it was.

I had received a MRN number with an sms on the way, so it took all of two minutes to get a stamp and off we go.

An unlucky gentleman of polish persuasion.

I must admit, working on achieving the lowest possible fuel consumption is a good way to fight off sleep, otherwise I’d be in trouble…

Well I had three of those delicious buns that I wanted to take a pic of, but I have this problem with self control and one bun is one more the gentleman parked for the weekend is ever going to buy from the gas station he’s parked at so there you go. This is like the 8th break of the day - when I put the truck in gear at 8am, I had 600km and 13.5 hours to catch the ferry.