PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

ERF-NGC-European:

moomooland:

smallcoal:
Hi all,you don’t see trade stands like that anymore that was when you advertised proper trucks ,that used to take place at Earl’s Court nowadays everything is leased cheers John

Hi John here’s another from back in the day.

Nice one Moomooland! I date this picture as 1974, as you can see an ERF NGC ‘European’ just to the left of the AEC overhead sign :wink: Robert

The Commercial Motor Show was held at Earls Court London every other year and always opened by Royalty. The last by Princess Anne
From about the age of five I went to everyone

Over the years we had 2 vehicles Exhibited.
1948 Spurlings stand Bedford Livestock carrier seen on the photo as my father was bringing it from London home to Spennymoor. We had a photo sadly lost of it after it had arrived & been sign-written & then lo & behold this one turned up on Ebay. Dad said pulling out of London near Swiss Cottage he was pulled in by a police man who said he just stopped him to admire the van. This photo must have been taken somewhere where he stopped to eat, sadly my dad had died about three years before I got the photo as he would have been so surprised & would have known where it was taken. The rocker cover on the Bedford engine had all been chromed plated by Bedford for the show and so had the dip stick. Dad said when he stopped he tried to dip the oil & found the dip stick was also chrome so he had to stop another Bedford driver to borrow his dip stick.
1980 (I think was the final London show) Bedford-Marsden pantechnicon on the Marsden stand. Once again about a year before the show we were invited to order a vehicle that would be exhibited in the show and once again the Bedford KG chassis scuttle was a special show order from Bedford. On this occasion we could subsequently find nothing special from Bedford. Presumably their effort must have been into seeing it was to their most recent specification and checked over to ensure no faults had been overlooked. I went to Earls Court & saw the vehicle but foolishly never took a photo