AEC V8

ERF:

gingerfold:
I could provide a transcript of the thoughts of an AEC engine tester who was a driver of the 3VTG concept vehicle when it had the turbo-charged V8 engine fitted, but quite frankly, what is the point anymore?

I have to say that I have come to agree with you ‘gingerfold’.
What is the point?

We’ve got a Loon on here bombarding every single sensible post with his warped and venomous diatribe, and enough is enough.

He has focused in on the V8 cooling issues now, which the rest of us already acknowledge was very seriously flawed. Nobody has ever disputed this, so why?. We are all critical of this machine. The engineers that conceived it were critical of this machine, but venomous and continual diatribe in this nasty and sarcastic manner serves just one purpose, to attempt to discredit the fine reputation of Keith Roberts (and others) from AEC on this public forum. Some of these people are still alive, the others have families. They were all professional and exceptionally talented men, and none deserve this level of contempt and disrespect. I for one find it exceptionally distasteful, and I don’t feel at all comfortable being associated with it by proxy. I fully agree with ‘ramone’ that our moderators should not allow it to happen. If an opinion cannot be expressed here in a respectful and gentlemanly manner, then the poster should be mandated to keep their counsel.

I have spent this afternoon in the company of some very talented Diesel engine development engineers. Time is money, and their time is seriously valuable, but they are interested in the AEC V8 so as a pointless exercise I asked them the key question - using their modern CAD software and immensely complicated computer based formulas, what major design changes really WOULD be needed to the basic AEC V8 design to make it into a reliable engine with a 450 BHP + potential.

But as ‘gingerfold’ has said, what the bloody hell is the point of writing it all up on here only to have it pulled apart to the nth degree and ridiculed by someone with all the professional engineering experience of a Lego builder?. Thanks, but no thanks.

Spare us all the thin skinned proffesionally offended bollox.You’d hear a lot worse than that aimed at the design of loads of different types of motor at any enthusiast gathering regarding loads of different designs.Much of it just exaggerated banter to the point of often calling much better designs than the AEC,junk.When all that’s really meant is it’s actually great but just could have been done better.Let alone typical GM v Ford v Mopar type rivalry at any car race venue worth the entry fee. :open_mouth:

While sorry if the AEC just isn’t one of the greats.The AEC fan boys really do need to get a sense of humour and a thicker skin.We’re truck drivers for FFS and as such shouldn’t be that bothered about a bit of humourous banter aimed at our favourite toys.On that note Bewick among others has called my preferred Detroit types enough names in the past usually meaning junk :laughing: let alone the names directed at me personally.Did I give a zb and go crying and whingeing to the mods to put him in pre mod etc.No because I took it as intended a laugh and if it’s not who cares.You can take enthusiasm for something to silly over serious lengths in that regard. :unamused:

So stop all the PC whingeing and let’s hear more of your ideas as to how you’re going to get 450 hp from the AEC motor without breaking it. :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing: .Bearing in mind that I didn’t exactly say anything different to railstaff regarding the cooling issue at least and did actually point out a seeming obstacle,which should never have been there at the design stage and which seems to stop his logical solution.