Comedian David Mitchell comments on Hauliers

cheekymonkey:
I’m guessing he’s been held up in traffic. Well, I also don’t like it when lorries get in my way when I’m in the car. But its always funnier when a member of the middle classes gets inconvenienced somehow.
I notice he didn’t put forward any solutions to the problem…Typical Labour.

Absolutely. His solution to all his aggrevations was “rail network”. Kind of a size 13 shoe for all feet type panacea. His clogged up road system is vastly more intricate and far reaching than rail and that, if he were to recognise it, points to a problem in his size 13 shoe approach.

Even if we were to advance the rail network back to the scale pre Beeching cull, it still would not touch all the corners of the country that contain elements of industry. The country has advanced in density enormously since the beeching cull so we!d need an even denser rail network than during that period. And let’s not forget, pre beeching cull period, goods still required moving to and from rail heads. At first on horse and cart, latterly by lorries.

So I’d like to know how he proposes to transport goods from a freight terminal in Doncaster to an engineering company in the Lincolnshire Wolds. The choices to avoid “a lorry” seem to consist of thousands of bicycles (if parcels for the engineering company), tens of vans (if larger items for the engineering company) or, erm, levitation or hot air balloon (if a heavy item)