Middle East - Not Astran!

David Miller:
Robert.

I don’t exactly know but I packed up the Middle East job in 1984 and never saw these transit plates till pictures started appearing on here.

I was never required to use one but perhaps if only I had worked for THE company I would have been issued one.

David

You probably missed them by a whisker, as they seem to have appeared in the mid-'80s if Middle-East pictures are anything to go by. THE company were no longer running their own lorries by then which is why you only see pictures of their subbies with them. You didn’t miss anything David: they were a nuisance because they were basically an annual Saudi tax disc but they were big with sharp corners. The brackets had to be removed for the MOT, they scarred the front of your lorry, you needed to take them off in Europe because idiots wanted to steal them for their collections, they obscured your number plate (well mine did!), they cluttered up your cab, they stopped your trailer tail board from falling flush with the rear of the trailer and so on! Robert