Peak District.

TIPIT:

Stanfield:
Another for Bonkey from the 60s in Manchester

We could do with these men to resurface today’s roads.

That old boy standing on the pavement watching them reminds me of one afternoon when we were surfacing in Shirebrook in the early 2000’s. Johnson Surfacing from Chesterfield were handlaying a footpath on a service road, I was on about three hours daywork with them (lovely, money in the bank for the gaffer and very little fuel being used!) and there were about half a dozen other lads barrowing, raking and rolling plus myself with Gough Transport ltd’s Foden six wheeler doing nothing much at all. :wink: This old lad, a former miner I believe, comes out of his house and says to the foreman; “Does thee want a brew then sythee?” and of course the answer was “yes please” (never refuse a brew, number one ruling in the tarmackers handbook!) and into the house he went. Ten minutes later out he comes…with one mug of tea!! Foreman says to him; “what about these lads then?” and the snarled reply was “I’m on a pension and not made of feffing money thee knows”! and went back indoors with the tea and that was the last we saw of him! :laughing: Had some great times with some of those gangs, could write a book on it really.

Pete.