Driving school waiting times

Class 2 was pretty quick - I booked it before actually finishing all my theories. Accepting that if I failed I’d lose out financially. Think it was about 2 weeks between booking and doing the course.

Class 1 is further away - booked it last week (I think, been on holiday and timings messed up) - and I won’t do it until the middle of April. But I wanted to do it over a weekend. And I wanted to do it in a full-size artic. So it depends on how flexible you want to be as well. I’m happy to keep on class 2 for a bit anyway - so no dramas for me.

I wouldn’t worry about waiting. There are more important things to focus on. Make sure you do it in an auto. Make sure the trainer is decent. Try and do the lessons in a modern wagon - honestly on agency I drive some total nails and I wouldn’t want to learn in them - even the legal ones. Being paid to drive them is one thing - but paying to have to fight the vehicle to do it’s job isn’t what you want. Make sure you instructor is not a total ■■■■… There are a lot of shouty people who drive trucks, and there is no way I’d put up with it whilst training.

Oh and when you do your training ask your instructor to briefly show you how the tacho unit works. When having coffee or something. I’d actually recommend getting your tacho card beforehand and asking to use it. If this is actually allowed - not sure. You will learn what buttons do what and it won’t be a drama when you do your first job. You are unlikely to register an infringement on it during training so I see no downsides. On my first job I must have done about 6 printouts before I worked out how to put it on break.