AEC V8

Carryfast:

coomsey:
In the mid 70s Les a mechanic said to me that if a diesel engine could do more than 2100 rpm it would eventually destroy itself. Is that nonsense? I ask cos the V8 n the 500 ,of which I had 3 of, would be in the frame. Cheers Paul

Probably more along the lines if it’s designed to ‘need’ to run those sort of engine speeds on a regular basis to do any useful work,combined with the lack of leverage at the crank,then it will inevitably self destruct before its time and before a good lugger like the Scania V8 will.As shown perfectly in that ice cold in Alex starting handle v steam engine analogy previously posted. :bulb: :wink:

The relevant Scania v AEC analogy seems to have gone missing in the post so tried again.

AEC were using a starting handle while Scania were using a crankshaft. :wink:

Scania.

youtube.com/watch?v=wbgYddG8gqs

AEC.

youtube.com/watch?v=k81rRaszRlg

Look on their hands as being the big ends and their wrist and forearm bones as the con rods and elbow joints as the small ends.So we whip them to work faster then they just get even hotter and thirsty and hungry and their hands ( bearing shells blister even sooner ).Or give them bigger arm muscles ( turbocharging ) then their hands blister even sooner and/or even break and/or their fore arm bones break and/or elbow joints let go.AEC obviously only gave up with the bigger muscles idea :open_mouth: :laughing: while totally missing the point that you need a proper crankshaft to provide the leverage to move the heavy weight. :bulb: