UK Firsts

Prompted by a post on another thread regarding the first Volvo F86 to be bought in the UK belonging to T Hutchinson, which I’m sure many of us are aware of, I’ve added this photo of the first 36 Ton DAF unit to be imported into the UK shown in a 1971 Commercial Motor magazine. The connected text tells the story but how about other models and makes that were first imported into the country or the first models of UK vehicles used on our roads, surely there are more known out there by members on this site! Franky.

This was the first ERF “A” Series in Scotland to be fitted with a Gardner 240 8LXB

This 1981 X reg was reputed to have been the first R Cab 305 to be imported by Scania at the time of the launch. It featured in their publicity campaign and litrature and went into service with Essex International. I bought in in early '84 along with FNO 82Y another R cab305 and three late '83 R Cab Intercoolers A 937/938/939 MPU all ex Essex Int. X600 XHK was driven on the Bewick fleet by the late Jim Varney and when it was withdrawn from front line service in the early 90’s IIRC it was sent to shunt at Radcliffe Paper Mill. At the time this shot was taken it was awaiting the finishing touches prior to entering service. Cheers Bewick.

I was lucky to get my hands on the first Mercedes V10 - a special import. URO 234M

John Fishwick an Astran subby ordered it to replace his previous Merc - like me as an owner-driver on Middle East work he
wanted the bulletproof reliability of the Merc but needed more grunt especially for the Mountains.

It was a left ■■■■■■ LPS 1932 - 15 litre V10 320bhp with the 13ton back axle & 12.00 x 20 tyres. ZF 8 speed range change synchro box

He ran it for about a year before retiring from driving & I was fortunate to be able to get it from him

I thought it a superb motor - comfortable to drive & live in with a virtual walk through cab and went to
Belgium & bought two more from the Merc dealer in Brussels

Never rated the replacement NG cabs as good as the LPS tilt cab

First is a promo shot when it was delivered - still has the rear wings before being replaced by flaps

uro_234m.jpg

Then when I had it - unfortunately the Pics of mine aren’t that good

uro_234m_small.jpg

when I worked at ferrymasters desborough we ran the Danish self drivers and they had those v10 mercs , they were certainly a bit special, especially when you compared them with our F86’s . I do remember one of the drivers called teddy , on being asked what the outside lane of a motorway was for , answer , fast cars and Danish lorry drivers