Tacho question.

Ok, so one of our managers has had a bit of a kick off this morning and i was wondering if anyone on here could help out?

The TP in our depot is logged on our tachomaster system as a casual driver. He drives one of our rigids once in a blue moon, usually when someone has rung in sick, and he downloads his card when he has done. He never does a manual update in tachomaster when he’s in the office all day and its never been a problem until now. We also have a van we use when the work load doesn’t warrant using a wagon, and if one of our regular drivers goes out in it we fill out a drivers daily record book and do a manual entry into tachomaster…happy days.

Our TP has been out a couple of times in the van over the last 2 weeks as we are a driver short at present, Mr Manager has now started kicking off saying it should be recorded in tachomaster, my TP disagrees.

Can anyone point us in the right direction of who is right and who is wrong and do a casual drivers van hours need recording in tachomaster or just in a Drivers Daily Record book?

Cheers

What does TP stand for?

Darkside:
What does TP stand for?

Sorry, Transport Planner.

We run a mixed fleet of vans and tacho vehicles and some of the drivers are swapping in and out of both and chuck in the odd day of nothing much/yard work.

We use record books, we don’t make manual entries into the tacho. That is absolutely fine and legal and I say this because:

1. We had a run in with DVSA a couple of years back, when they stopped us for a check and the driver produced his written records and the DVSA guy refused to accept them and kept hold of him for 9 hours. Transport solicitors got involved and they were adamant that we were legal.

2. I just voluntarily put myself through an RHA audit and raised that very question in case anything had changed recently and no it hasn’t.

Log book/sheets for uk domestic are legal records for the EU regs so there is no legal need to also put those records onto a digicard or print out rolls

If the company have a policy for you to do this then that is a different matter

Thanks for the answers. We think it may just be a company thing wanting us to go above and beyond.

At our place we have to record our hours even if driving the van. Theres a bloke working In the warehouse awaiting a op and even he has to record his hours and say that he isn’t driving. Not sure if it’s needed by law or not?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

ag1992:
At our place we have to record our hours even if driving the van. Theres a bloke working In the warehouse awaiting a op and even he has to record his hours and say that he isn’t driving. Not sure if it’s needed by law or not?

Not needed by law for eu tacho regs but perhaps best written in a diary so as to account for non driving days

ROG:

ag1992:

Not needed by law for eu tacho regs but perhaps best written in a diary so as to account for non driving days

ROG as my earlier pist (unless I’m misreading yours and ag’s post), if you are driving in scope, you need to account for any days you aren’t driving.

One of our lads got laid up for 9 hours because they said he couldn’t prove his was off the day before, despite having a sheet detailing his hours, start, finish, POA, driving, work, ferry day off with him.

DVSA said out of scope days should have a manual entry on the tachometer. Backhouse Jones and the RHA disagreed and said our system was legal; they both agreed on the need to record hours though.

Days off do not legally need records

Other work done in the same fixed week that eu regs driving was done do need records and in the uk a diary will suffice although it should be recorded on printout roll/s or analogue card/s

fatboystu1:
Ok, so one of our managers has had a bit of a kick off this morning and i was wondering if anyone on here could help out?

The TP in our depot is logged on our tachomaster system as a casual driver. He drives one of our rigids once in a blue moon, usually when someone has rung in sick, and he downloads his card when he has done. He never does a manual update in tachomaster when he’s in the office all day and its never been a problem until now. We also have a van we use when the work load doesn’t warrant using a wagon, and if one of our regular drivers goes out in it we fill out a drivers daily record book and do a manual entry into tachomaster…happy days.

Our TP has been out a couple of times in the van over the last 2 weeks as we are a driver short at present, Mr Manager has now started kicking off saying it should be recorded in tachomaster, my TP disagrees.

Can anyone point us in the right direction of who is right and who is wrong and do a casual drivers van hours need recording in tachomaster or just in a Drivers Daily Record book?

Cheers

How to have a row over nowt…

albion:

ROG:

ag1992:

ROG as my earlier pist (unless I’m misreading yours and ag’s post), if you are driving in scope, you need to account for any days you aren’t driving.

One of our lads got laid up for 9 hours because they said he couldn’t prove his was off the day before, despite having a sheet detailing his hours, start, finish, POA, driving, work, ferry day off with him.

DVSA said out of scope days should have a manual entry on the tachometer. Backhouse Jones and the RHA disagreed and said our system was legal; they both agreed on the need to record hours though.

If driving a van, so on domestic, then the logbook is fine, but if someone had a day in the yard that needed recording because of EU regs, then the dairy / logbook, although may be accepted isn’t one of the official ways to make the record, your options are manual entry, written on a printout or back of a wax chart