Forgetting stuff

im 54 and getting very forgetful .maybe many here the same? on the routine stuff .
whats bugging me ,happening almost daily is that i can pull up and stop ,put on brake,hop out and suddenly get the thought in my head "did i /didnt i ? put on the brake. course i check and i did but i cant recall doing it . or i will drive thru a town and know i went thru the lights on edge of town but were they green? or did i stop at them cos were red ? not 2 minutes later im out of the town and i cant recall which they were or even if i stopped.

I started getting forgetful at 45-46 ,My Doctor put it down to stress ,I occasionally walk into the kitchen and forget why i’m there type thing …The worst one , i was actually stood at a cash point and completely forgot my pin number ,I had used it for three years …It never came back until the next day, And that’s when i went to the doctors and was told its stress …Its also an aging thing in my opinion .
I would pop along to the doctors though,You need to do a few tests .i did some written tests and had bloods done .
Good luck pal.

this is more common than you think, some drivers take it seriously, others shrug it off, be careful who you tell, careless talk costs licenses

Im same with handbrake since my mid twenties. To be fair with good reason, after hitching up at Tesco Harlow only to turn around and see the whole kit and caboodle rolling across the yard with me on the catwalk! Got away with it though, no one around, nothing was hit

If youre on a ferry when in freight drivers lounge mention that you can’t remember putting your handbrake on, you’ll be met with a sea of suddenly concerned faces and at least one at reception asking to go back down to check!

I’ve been stopped by HMRC in Dover and asked “Where have you been?” and completely forgotten. So I’ve thought “Germany? Italy? Belgium? Spain?” and I just haven’t had a clue. I’ve had so say “Errr, hang on while I get the paperwork”. Bizarrely enough though, while I thought this must have been extremely suspicious behaviour, they always acted as though it was a fairly normal occurrence.

What was the question?

Dunno cos I’ve forgot …

Yep immediate short term memory loss, quite common. No end of times I’ve rang me planners and said… “OK all tipped at ehhhh, where the fork am i” and felt my brain scrabble round for a clue…

Also found myself staring at a juicy set of labias and wondered how on earth did I get here, not important really as up to that point I must have been doing something right…

Happens to all of us. The amount of times you question yourself did I do something and double check to realise you did but can’t remember doing it.

I often get up to go and make a brew or go to do something and no sooner I’ve stood up than I have no idea what I got up for to sit back down and the 2 mins later remember what what I got up for.

I think I have awful short term memory. Yet I can list every car reg I’ve owned and several my parents owned when I was a child. I remember trailer numbers in the yard partly because of shunting but they stick in my head, also the reg of the trucks at work. Pointless stuff from years ago no problem, ask me where I went when I’ve juts got back from a run and most the time I have no idea where I’ve just been.

Maybe I’m just going senile nice and early but I forget such a lot in the very short term memory.

Harry Monk:
I’ve been stopped by HMRC in Dover and asked “Where have you been?” and completely forgotten. So I’ve thought “Germany? Italy? Belgium? Spain?” and I just haven’t had a clue. I’ve had so say “Errr, hang on while I get the paperwork”. Bizarrely enough though, while I thought this must have been extremely suspicious behaviour, they always acted as though it was a fairly normal occurrence.

That happens to me too! Surpringly often. I just sort of freeze up and can’t for the life of me remember where I’ve been. I’m also good at forgetting trailer numbers seconds after being told them

Double post

Driving on ‘autopilot’ can be a bit worrying sometimes ie a regular run where you think back and cant remember passing through certain places… a regular scenario for me that could inc half of my route through spain…

Goodness me yes it happens all the time to me. Generally only ever minor stuff aswell. That and also half of what the Mrs tells me :laughing:

toonsy:
That and also half of what the Mrs tells me :laughing:

Strange though isnt it they never forget anything!..excepting their own misdemenours…selective forgetfulness… :grimacing:

switchlogic:
I’m also good at forgetting trailer numbers seconds after being told them

I get out of the cab and look at the trl number, walk to goods in repeating in my head 123, 123, 123, 123, 123…
To be met with the question “whats your reg drive?” so I give it (reading it off the key fob), “and the trl number?” … [zb], hang on… walk back over to truck…

I have had a terrible short term memory for as long as I can… well… remember :confused:

And yes I do the handbrake and town thing and everything else mentioned. (apart from the labia thing, I’ve never forgotten how I’ve ended up in that particular position/situation, though there are many I wish I could now forget!)

It’s quite common for this to happen, but it can also be a sign of more serious things. So instead of shrugging it off, like many other things us guys do with medical matters go visit the GP and get them to check things out

I was about to add a post but I can’t remember what I was going to say :blush:

Used to sit on the train thinking “I did put the park brake on, did’nt I”, then for the next 50 mins fret about it, thinking of a couple of battered motors blocking the stampede off the train.

i think i remember reading about bomb disposal experts totally under stress having to check constantly that they switched the correct switches multiple times and then when it comes to red wire/yellow wire sonner or later cutting the wrong one and killing themselves
due to stress.
i know years ago when i was being ran ragged much worse than now,then it got to the stage i had to get up 3 r 4 times to check doors locked,ignition off,alarms set on 2 phones ect before i could keep my eyes closed…change jobs and slow down.

Ive got back from work myself and someone asks where have you been and I cannot remember for the life of me. I’m not old. I think it’s the brain gets overworked and tired. Starts dumping things.

Worth getting a check up. Highly likely part of normality of life :laughing: