Tax rebate and SSP advice please

Conor:
No it won’t. Completely separate.

Not sure how you’ve managed to stay on basic rate so long, someone has cocked up somewhere. New PAYE systems mean your tax code gets sent to a new employer quite quickly. If I were you I’d be contacting HMRC to find out what is going on because if because of a mistake or unpaid tax in the past they decided you should have been on basic rate then you won’t be getting the refund you think you will due to the fact that as far as they’re concerned you paid what you should. If its because of an incorrect NI number being put on the system by your employer it could mean your NI payments being paid to the wrong account which will affect any contributions based benefits and state pension down the line.

And why the hell would you do this anyway? Its as daft as sticking money under the mattress. All you’re doing is instead of earning interest and growing that money you’re actually reducing what that money will buy due to inflation. £100 left there in April 2017 will only buy the equivalent of £97 of goods in April 2018.

Thanks for the input chap…

I had been made redundant, then given a new role on lesser pay within a month… So hmrc had put me on ET code.

I say savings lol, hmrc say it is the employee responsibility to contact them so I left it as I had not noticed for a good couple month into new role, when I did the amount wouldn’t have made a massive difference each week but over a few months it’s a nice little chunk so I left it lol

But hey thanks for the input, I shall call them when I’m free and see what’s due back to me as the online is sketchy at best hence I asked…