A1 transport,leeds

Jack Graham:

Steve Boland:
I ran the London Depot for a while back in 1980. Originally working with Sonny Bairstpw before he retired. Jack Robinson owned it, I think he was Irish.Russell Hutchinson was MD and ran it.I had huge respect for Russell and he was marmite.I spoke to him this year and he is a groundsman at Bilton CC near Harrogate. It was a great firm to work for until Russell Lost his wife in a plane crash he survied. He was out of the business for some time. During that time It was sold with Magee buying it and Ian Matthews, who ran the Middlesborough depot, got busy brwon nosing. He eventually got moved on but by then the company was being run poorly. I jumped ship then and really the company withered over the next few years. This despite acquisitions of Barnfarther plus others.

I think your wrong on one point, Russel was back at work then Jack sold out, he was off work after the plane fire at Manchester for a long time, but I think he was back working when Magee took over, it was because of Magee he was forced out, because as you will know Magee was an asset stripper, he did the same to every company he took over including A One Transport. But happy new years to you Steve, and hope your in good health.

Hi Jack hope you are well now live just up the road from you in East MortonJust came across this thread on A One looking for pictures of old trucks for my grandson I used to drive an Atkinson with a 180 Gardener like the picture posted earlier in this thread mine was not as clean though when I first started at A one after leaving Yardley Transport Leeds worked out of Skiningrove on the mine arch at first, those where the days of full employment left Yardley’s after an argument over bonus on Friday dinner time started at A One Monday morning remember a lot of the names mentioned but they all seem to be after A One took over Chapmans great times I left permanent driving a long time ago only driving when out of work but this has brought back a few happy memories I was shop steward for a short time at Gildersome hope everyone is well.