Suttons Tankers Dispute

TiredAndEmotional:

Janos:

cav551:
I just hope that those who peddle the line that the Sutton’s drivers are overpaid and that the company has to take this action take an identical view when it happens to themselves.

It will be for the good of the company and its shareholders after all.

RIght then, lets have a show of hands to show who earns more than 40 grand driving a truck? Not many I am guessing. Would somebody driving for an agency on 13 quid an hour like to think they have something in common with these union fatcats? Does anybody honestly think that the union gives a stuff about any of you on general haulage? Some real mugs on here. This strike has nothing to do with the average joe on the street. To think some of you are willing to stand in line with them beggars belief.
Funny that everybody complains about the inequity of wages for bankers etc, and yet they allow a closed cartel to do the same in their own industry, and are willing to fight to retain the status quo. To claim that these drivers losing a portion of their wage will cause a further downward spiral in all wages is nonsense.
Sorry to break this to a lot of you, but the day is not coming any time soon when you will be paid over 60 grand to drive a truck.

Oh Janos…I’m sorry you haven’t been able to break through the £40k ceiling whilst being self employed. I haven’t managed it myself. But I don’t want to see anyone who has have it swiped away from them because that would be one less opportunity for my good self to aim for. See where I’m coming from? Now stop swallowing those bitter pills man!

You have me all wrong T&E. I have had some really good years, and would not change my status. I am not against fighting for a good wage per se, I am against the inequity of some tanker drivers earning half of what Suttons old school lot are on, and them being stupid enough to think the day will come when all firms will pay them the same rate if they support the fight. Most drivers will get a wage dictated by the market, as do most working people, me included. It is not about jealousy, it is about closed shop union bully boys shouting the odds. Makes my blood boil. Working out of Liverpool Docks, and having to frequent the steel works of the UK during the eighties and nineties was an education.