New or used

Andrey1:
For a start up new business it’s always risky to invest your capital or tie in long term contracts as you don’t know how business will go. It’s better to keep the capital, hire both trailer and tractor for short term before purchase one. There are companies who do 3 month rolling contracts for tractor units, and trailer hire weekly. Hire for 3 to 6 months, secure a good work and relations, try both containers and curtainsider work, calculate what’s coming in and going out, search a local garage for your future owned unit and agree some type of maintenance contract. When finally decide to purchase one, take your garage mate to check the unit. Our job is to drive/operate and for mechanics, leave it to someone professional. Well, so far this is my plan for my start up as an operator. Hope this can be helpful for others who plan to start soon, and here is the offer for unit hire;

We can offer the following tractor unit hire options:
Renault T Range (Euro 6) 460BHP Auto - £385.00 + VAT Per Week
Renault Premium (Euro 5) 460BHP Auto - £325.00 + VAT Per Week
Services Included: Maintenance/Inspections, RFL and Tyres
Minimum Term: 3 Months Rolling With 30 Day Written Notice For Return
Deposit: One Month In Advance
Unfortunately we do not have availability on Skelly Trailers.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards
Richard Vann
JMR Vehicle Solutions Limited
Beecham Business Park
Northgate
Aldridge
Walsall
West Midlands
WS9 8TZ
Tel: 01922 745421

For container work, Martello Transport offered the highest rate/mile. Most companies offered around 1.40 empty / loaded. Here’s few;

Martello: £1.50 per mile.
£2280 revenue (5 days)
14 day payment terms. Work week 1, invoice week 2, payment on Friday of week 3 and every week there after.
Would prefer you to use your own skelly and fuel card but can provide both if required.
We’d struggle to run a Manchester based truck day and night at the moment but tramping would be ideal for both parties.
Lots of weekend work available.

Transmode: Average weekly mileage 1600

• earning per week £2200 £2300
    -Payment terms two week after weeks end
    -Trailer hire rates / accept own skelly can hire one to you (£90 a week) but prefer you to have your own.
    -Fuel card yes
    -Weekend work availability yes

Portexpress: Average weekly mileage 1700 -1800
-Rates per loaded/empty miles £1.35
-Payment terms Weekly after 3 weeks
-Trailer hire £85.00 but accept sub contractors own skelly
-Fuel card Yes
-Shift work availability (2*12 hr shifts) No
-Weekend work availability Limited

Thank you. Especially for the rates. As soon as I get approval from the bank I’ll carefully consider ask the options. I don’t think I’m brave enough to buy a unit for £6k as there is a reason why it’s so cheep. Most manufacturers only offer R&M on vehicles up to 7 years old. However they have to had fsh up to date.