New or used

I would not give up on the idea, just approach it in a realistic way. There are plenty of people tied to massive HP/ Leasing deals claiming they are living the dream, when the reality is they are like a hamster in a wheel. The thought of getting up every monday morning knowing I had to drive at least 1500 miles to make a wage makes we want to retch.

Not sure where you are based, but wherever you are, find the work that is local to you. I mean both locally based, and in work too. You then want to cost fully the first year with a cashflow forecast and a projected forecast for the second year with your tax liabilities.

I can see the attraction of buying a new truck, and the peace of mind re breakdowns is reassuring, but the payments must be matched with a continuity of work at good rates. If you can’t do that, then you need to spend less.

There is still so much nonsense on these threads about buying a secondhand truck. Lets get it right. If you are buying a second hand truck and it is being passed on to you because of some latent engine problem, then you are in the wrong place.

Never buy a truck that has been serviced privately by some man and a van, or even worse, by the owner. Buy a three year old truck from a dealer or reputable truck trader, which has been dealer maintained, and keep looking until you find a low mileage example, which will have a service history. A low mileage modern truck is totally reliable. Dealer will be able to supply all clutch measurements, oil pressure etc. Buy it, using the most tax efficient method you can, and then get a new maintenance contract with the dealer if you can afford it.

You must be aware the bank will only really lend to you what you are prepared to put up yourself, so factor that into your plans. The most realistic way to do it is prepare forecast accounts and approach a leasing co. Secure a lease purhase type deal from the likes of Lombard, and keep as much cash back as you can for cashflow purposes…and don’t work for Maritime! :slight_smile: