Van driver earning more than class 1 driver

albion:

kcrussell25:

Juddian:
What happened to a working mans, or woman’s, pride in being self sufficient.

Deliberately keeping earnings low in order to gain subsidies, from other taxpayers, namely those who refuse to put their hand out to the state.
Next thing you know they’ll be milking the sick pay, and still being subsidised.

Hope no one mentions austerity :unamused:

It went when you became “entitled” to benefits. It stopped being the safety net and became the way of life.

Over on Money Saving Expert is mumoffour (needs to change her name now she has 6).

Qualified accountant, works 16 hours a week. I don’t know the circumstances that led to her being a single mother. I do know from my perspective, I could never have had 6, what if I became single, how would I manage. Turns out the state steps in to the tune of a shade over 3.5k a month.

Same forum, Old Mother Tucker whose kids are grown up now has said it was pointless 're-marrying as to get the equivalent benefits he would have to bring home £500.00 a week.

I know three people that work in the NHS, everyone of them at some time has had a rant about other staff, who aren’t really ill, yet will take 6 months off on full pay. Then mysteriously get better just before the 6 months are up.

I’ve lived in my current house since '91. Chap opposite and hi s wife have a Downs kid. Every week she goes to a centre around 7.30 to 4. In those 26 years, neither of them have worked. I can understand one of them not working, but not both. The kid isn’t there during the normal working week. Big car on disability every two years, though the kid gets a taxi every morning and afternoon.

I’ve been unemployed and had benefits, I’m not anti benefits, but I’m anti those who milk the system. Probably worsened by the fact I live in a benefits town.

I’d be more than happy for these wastrels to be taken to task, we all know these cases exist and quite blatantly sometimes. But let’s remember they are the minority and don’t tar all who receive benefits with the same brush. It is estimated that annually,there is much more money left unclaimed by those who would genuinely qualify than is fiddled by the layabouts.