Van driver earning more than class 1 driver

TiredAndEmotional:

kcrussell25:
You may have seen in the news about the universal credit thats coming in. Its meant to give a sliding scale that stops people turning down part time/low paid jobs as previously once back in work you lost everything which could easily leave you worse off.

I agree it doesn’t make sense but as you say it reduces unemployment so theres the answer.

I don’t believe that it was ever intended to go this far. I am only 35 but talking to my dad and older friends it is easy to see that this country went wrong when you became able to live a better life on benefits than you did working. I have no issue paying for people who have lost their jobs or genuinely ill but it needs to be a safety net and not a career option as it has been in the past

Or you could view it as Dickensian employers taking advantage of the benefits system to pay their poor downtrodden employees a non-living wage knowing the state will top up with benefits where applicable. Even the Tories have started to wonder whether the state should continue to subsidise cheapskate employers.

Maybe. However would cost of living have got so high without the benefit system? A lot of areas housing benefit pushed the cost of rent beyond the earnings of a working person.

I certainly won’t claim company’s are innocent but when people are turning down work as they are better off on benefits something is very wrong with the system