Van driver earning more than class 1 driver

kcrussell25:
You may have seen in the news about the universal credit thats coming in. Its meant to give a sliding scale that stops people turning down part time/low paid jobs as previously once back in work you lost everything which could easily leave you worse off.

I agree it doesn’t make sense but as you say it reduces unemployment so theres the answer.

I don’t believe that it was ever intended to go this far. I am only 35 but talking to my dad and older friends it is easy to see that this country went wrong when you became able to live a better life on benefits than you did working. I have no issue paying for people who have lost their jobs or genuinely ill but it needs to be a safety net and not a career option as it has been in the past

Or you could view it as Dickensian employers taking advantage of the benefits system to pay their poor downtrodden employees a non-living wage knowing the state will top up with benefits where applicable. Even the Tories have started to wonder whether the state should continue to subsidise cheapskate employers.