Van driver earning more than class 1 driver

AndrewG:

kcrussell25:

AndrewG:
Isnt the UK geared towards benefits as such with lower pay being topped up with working tax and child tax credits? Only by what i read on the net sometimes its not worth a man with a family worrying too much over an hourly rate/salary as to get out of the rut the money for the same job without any sort of top up would mean the job paying more than say double…?

Very much so. In my previous job I had to deal with people suddenly refusing overtime as at the end of the year they had had their benefits cut.

There was 1 guy with 2 kids who explained to me that although he only did 20 hours a week put more in the bank with benefits that the single guy working 39.

The idea of topping people’s wages up was in principle a good one to encourage them back to work. Unfortunately it has gone to far where people now don’t want full time jobs as they can get the same without working

Doesnt make economical sense does it. Rather than pay unemployment money theyre topping up low pay with another benefit disguised as tax incentives but in the end it all comes from the same pot :confused: Suppose it makes good reading re unemployment rates though…

You may have seen in the news about the universal credit thats coming in. Its meant to give a sliding scale that stops people turning down part time/low paid jobs as previously once back in work you lost everything which could easily leave you worse off.

I agree it doesn’t make sense but as you say it reduces unemployment so theres the answer.

I don’t believe that it was ever intended to go this far. I am only 35 but talking to my dad and older friends it is easy to see that this country went wrong when you became able to live a better life on benefits than you did working. I have no issue paying for people who have lost their jobs or genuinely ill but it needs to be a safety net and not a career option as it has been in the past