Suttons Tankers Dispute

Can I first of all thank those of you that have posted positive comments of support to these workers, who are prepared to get off their knees and fight for what they believe is right and what the rest of drivers in this industry should be being paid.

I don’t want to go into too much detail at present as sensitive talks are still ongoing in order for the union to do it’s very best to avert this strike action.

Just to give an insight as to these proposals, The drivers are fighting to retain what their forefathers suffered the pain to achieve and the company are proposing to reduce their rates of pay by 32.9% Just one element in their terms and conditions that I will enlighten you all to at this time to give you a flavour of whats taking place. These workers currently have in their agreement, a death in service policy payable to their family if they die whilst in employment which is currently £100,000 the company are looking to ■■■■■ this to £10,000 The drivers pay into this scheme themselves and it is an insurance policy anyway so no saving for the company there.

Let us understand the strategy that these tuppence halfpenny hauliers adopt when bidding for these contracts. They bid at the lowest price in order to get the contract on the proviso that they will then attack the workers terms and conditions together with pay rates during the term of the contract.

Nynas is a Swedish owned company and operate the Refinery at Eastham in a joint partnership with the Oil giant Shell. These companies are raking in billions, make no mistake about that !

Suttons couldn’t even explain to the union reps what the savings were, that they were looking to make. On that basis, their agenda is clear, they simply want to attack these workers terms and conditions and join the race to the bottom.

One manager at the plant recently said to a driver, I come to work with a shirt & tie and you don’t deserve to paid more that me. That is their ideology !!!

These workers are united 100% The fight is on, United we stand, Divided we beg, these workers are no beggars. They had the balls to organise and are prepared to stand up to the bully boy bosses. Some on here working in this industry need to understand before criticising others that YOU are highly skilled workers, doing an extremely difficult job, for which you should be handsomely. But let’s get real, the boss isn’t coming to give you a pay rise anytime soon because he loves you. YOU have to organise and fight him for what is right, "A fair day’s pay, for a fairs day’s work.

I will post more information soon. SOLIDARITY TO OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS AT SUTTONS

ps If you feel, you would like to become organised. Join Unite at unitetheunion.org and follow the link Join Unite