Any old promotor drivers around

You may have read my recent postings concerning a trip I did delivering and collecting furniture to and from British Embassies around the Middle East. Because of a diplomatic incident following the broadcasting of the film ‘Death of a Princess’ the Saudi’s had stopped issuing visas to us Brits. I enlisted the help of Sami Sirrissi in Damascus and eventually he obtained a visa for me. How he managed it I will never know but I’ve always wondered if it was genuine. I have scanned it as well as a couple of others which were obtained from the Saudi Embassy in London in later years when I was flying out there.

The only thing that I can see that is different is that on the one issued in Damascus in 1980 something has been written in long hand down the side of the visa. So is there anyone out there who can tell me what it says. Did wonder if it said I was a pilgrim on my way to Mecca!!!

I have another little anecdote concerning an Iraqi visa with something similar written down the side. I will relate that story sometime.