Saints Transport / Goldstar Heathrow Feedback

Hyh:
Thanks for all the feedback. I was hoping it might have been a little more positive…

I’m a new pass Class 1 and so I’m finding it tricky finding anyone that will take me on outside of agencies…Even most of those are saying come back when I have a years experience.

I’m just south of Gatwick, so it will be a bit of a commute to Heathrow.

If anyone happens to know of any companies taking on new class 1 passes, ideally trunking, or at least not physically demanding multi drop - I would love to hear

I had an interview with Saints on Friday and was a little surprised by the money on offer considering I’m a new pass. It was knocking on the door of £37K for Monday-Friday on nights. I got the impression there might be the odd night/day out involved but isn’t tramping. I’m not sure if that figure includes money for any days out. 28 days holiday a year. They stick new drivers with an experienced driver to make sure you’re confident before sending you out solo - which is a plus for a new pass instead of being thrown keys and wished luck. :open_mouth:

Thanks again guys :slight_smile:

I have worked for Saints quite often. Have always found the staff helpful, good atmosphere and other drivers willing to help. They operate MANs but honestly the way some drivers leave them is beyond me, so even the new 17 plates are getting a tad trashed. Hours usually quite long but it isn’t heavy work. Need to be careful on the use of straps as they have a tendency not to strap things.

Tend to be a rush to get it there, then hanging around a bit because the work is tied into the airline schedules. Be careful how you do your hours because you can easily get f’d over on the WTD the latter half of the day. E.g o.wk 30 mins drive for 4.5 (with or without a 15min break in there), tipping then park up (45 or 30), then hanging around. Re-load then run. If you’re not careful you can easily go 6 hours plus after the end of the 45 break till the end of the shift because of the ‘hanging around’. A careful use of POA is required to prevent this.

Units aren’t too bad so long as not clarted up by previous driver but their trailers are a bit 10.1 (old cb slang), Get some advice on how to use the roller bed. Basically you have two yellow stoppers that flip up manually to prevent the aircraft pallets from coming out but mind your fingers! You need to lower the trailer suspension and raise the unit suspension when unloading (opposite of course when loading) to create an incline in your favour having first applied the roller bed brake. You must assess the load because you don’t want anything come flying out the back without a big forklift in position ready to take the pallet. Equally you don’t want to jam the last pallet against the yellow stoppers with the other pallets on top so only put the rollers up for the pallet you want to move and those behind it. There are four roller positions in the trailer. Remember to check where the headboard is on the controls, usually marked formally or informally but they can vary. An aircraft pallet flying out will kill you.

You get a lot of interesting stuff to carry but make sure too that long pipes (packed in pipe crates - not always in the best manner) are loaded by the forkies correctly. Should be done by two forkies working in parallel but having been the recipient not sure the London wallahs cared too much! (bloody expensive insurance claim). Interesting job.