Happy owner drivers

matamoros:

ATS:
379 now, i am just wondering if there is any owner drivers out there that are happy that they are an owner driver, it all seems to be negative comments and people jumping to ridicule someone, it would be good to see positive comments

Here’s one :smiley:

I have been an owner operator for 32 years, ups and downs but on the whole happy with the decision I made in 1985’

I am now retired from driving but my son is continuing the business, having said that I would not advise anyone to give up a good job and start in todays business climate.

Christ Matamoros, I was born the year you set up!

Punchy Dan:
Iam not negative but I do get ■■■■■■ off reading posts by itch scratchers ,I own my vehicles and my premises outright and have saved for new vehicles too as I belive this is the way it should be rather than always being on the never never Woking for a dictated pittance per mile ,i know everyone has to start somewhere but really the not for profit atitude is the one that dose the most damage to haulage contractors like me who undertake work for rates set by themselves .

I wouldn’t start any other way Punchy Dan. Especially with out of London LEZs coming on stream this year. I know that I am good for these places because I’m E6C. I also know that I’m not going to get clobbered with big repair bills. I would love my own site and would be delighted if I could own new outright but i cant yet. I do own the trailer though!

I’m heading on to 8 months in ATS and I am currently rather happy, though I do get a bit stressy on long wait jobs. On the whole I wouldn’t change it and I would forever regret not having had a go if I had decided not to run my own.