Happy owner drivers

I was an owner driver, i had 2 trucks what a great life…weekends off…a lie in every morning…loads of money…oh sorry…i was dreaming.!! I did a long time ago, but got knocked…that was my downfall and it affected many back in the 70/80`s…especially when on a trip…end of my lifestyle. I know a few owner drivers who have given up in the last 2/3 years as they cannot make it pay…rates were reduced, maintenance became more expensive…the list is endless…a tyre blow out…is a weeks profit down the swanney…weekends were spent in the yard sorting out the faults. the weeks were spent trying to earn…in todays climate its not easy to start out…although if you do your homework…if you have good contacts for work, if the rates are good…so many IFS…but all very important…the biggest…is the truck…pay cash, no finance is the way forward…same for the trailer, dont start to bling it up…or fancy paint jobs…wait till your established to see what your profits are, then you will always have to set some aside…for your servicing etc + 6 weekly checks + insurances + taxes + wages…what you earn is not yours…and if you want to become a millionaire…start off with 2 million.