Load Restraint and EN12642-XL

The company I drive for has recently upgraded it’s fleet of double deck trialers with new (or has modified existing) trailers compliant with EN12642-XL.

We mainly transport goods on pallets or in stillages/cages

A full length net is used with vertical straps to protect the upper deck, the straps being secured to the lower chasis. Straps. are also used on the swan neck.

No additional nets or straps are used for the lower deck.

There are also several kites at intervals along swan,upper and lower decks to secure the load laterally.

It is my understanding that unless the load is a positive fit, then additional load restraint is required.

To achieve a positive fit, there must not be a gap greater than 30cm between the load and either the headboard or rear/rear doors of the trailer and there there must not be a gap of greater than 80mm anywhere between the load and the curtain.

If the load is not a positive fit, then the rear of the load must be secured (we use a kite at the rear of the load) to reduce any gap.

My question is, if it is not possible to maintain less than an 80mm gap between the load and the curtain (I assume that just means the edge of the pallet/stillage/cage and the curtain) then what is the minimum acceptable method of restraining the load?

I would have thought that rave to rave straps would still be required.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Nez

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have heard that the dvsa are a bit more lenient when it comes to XL12642 trailers and I can’t see them checking for gaps of 80mm and it sounds like you’ll have enough restraints as it is.

bald bloke:
I have heard that the dvsa are a bit more lenient when it comes to XL12642 trailers and I can’t see them checking for gaps of 80mm and it sounds like you’ll have enough restraints as it is.

Fair point, but I’d like to know where we stand legally. DVSA may be lenient on a spot check, but what about worse case scenario where there’s an accident investigating?

I’d really like to know what’s legally required as I don’t believe the company have a bloody clue. They seem to think that as it’s an XL trailer, then anything goes!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

This may help a little…gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

bald bloke:
This may help a little…gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

Cheers, it’s from reading this that got me thinking about the need to have extra restraint in the 1st place.

My interpretation is that if it isn’t a positive fit, then the fact it’s an XL trailer becomes irrelevant, it effectively would be regarded as a straight curtainsider!

If so, then surely race to race or similar would be required?

You’re correct if it’s not a positive fit it needs strapping so if you’re worried about it strap it and you can relax but as I said before they’re more lenient and I can’t see them measuring the gap between the pallets and curtains.

bald bloke:
You’re correct if it’s not a positive fit it needs strapping so if you’re worried about it strap it and you can relax but as I said before they’re more lenient and I can’t see them measuring the gap between the pallets and curtains.

No I very much doubt it. Just wanted to make sure I was reading the rules right.

Now just need to educate the management [emoji23]