New Zealand trucking

Hey Beaver.

NZ immigration is a good starting point, but things here a not as black and white as they are in the UK so certain “rules” get overlooked. Truck driving is not on the OSS list anymore but it is a skill and there is a shortage. I have met a Croation and an Indian driving heavy trucks here in the last few months so there must be a gap in the fence, so to speak.

From my own experience, admitedly 15 years ago, most employers dont touch applications from abroad as it’s a bit of a lottery. From your point of view, I can see the merits of wanting some security before setting off to the other side of the world but employers need commitment, the labor laws here are quite strict and once you have sponsered an idiot, you are pretty much stuck with them so meeting a prospective employee in the flesh mitigates some of that risk and shows you are “eager” to have a go. The hard yards are getting here and putting yourself in that position, the rest is just a form filling (and fee paying) exercise.
Dont be put off by job adverts say must have experience or must have work permits, these are just put out there to try and deter the lazy wannabees and dreamers. Nothing can beat a bit of cold calling door knocking when looking for work, it’s what I did and looks like what some of the others here have done also, and getting your foot in that door.

When I first arrived here I was told by the AA that I could not exchange my UK class one to a NZ without starting from scratch, so I never bothered. However from the exchanges between posters above it would seem that changes have happend and I will be looking into this in the new year.

I know you have faith in yourself, you could make it here.

Andie.